Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Help with godaddy backorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't encountered a situation like this with godaddy backorders in the past, does anyone here know how this is supposed to work,

I had backordered the following three domains with godaddy,

BigDataStats.com

BigDataHelp.com

BigDataEnterprise.com

BigDataStats.com and BigDataHelp.com were caught for me successfully by godaddy :)

But I received an email indicating that the domain BigDataEnterprise.com has been sent to auction and that I needed to login in order to make a bid on it. Is this because there were more than one backorder for this domain, but when I go to my godaddy auction account it only shows that there is one bid on it (I assume that that is my backorder that has been turned in to the first bid), but if there is only one bid for this domain which is mine then why wasn't it caught for me like the other two domains indicated above.

PS: this is what it showed when I logged in to my account at godaddy auctions:

Domain name: BigDataEnterprise.com
Current Price: $10
Asking Price: $10
Bids: 1
Time left: 6d 12h

Thanks, Ojohn

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the owner is of the name has a godaddy account and it has gone to the soon to be expired name auction. good luck bidding

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've backordered domains at Godaddy that were held at Godaddy only to have them caught by someone else...sad, I know.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't know why someone would actually "post" the specific names they are bidding on, as this could only increase competition.

unless....

:)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can backorder. But, if someone else backorders the same name, it will go to auction.

I used to be very successful backordering domains on GoDaddy.

Then GD made some changes.

When you place a backorder on GoDaddy, it quickly enters the TDNAM auction with a bid...your backorder. This was not the case a year or so ago. The disadvantage to this is your backorder is no longer a secret. There are many people who will scan (view) domains that have bids on them. This gives the viewer the sense of the domain having "worth" because someone is bidding on it. So then they place a bid.

The entire system is so screwed up now.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
don't know why someone would actually "post" the specific names they are bidding on, as this could only increase competition.

unless....

:)
Thanks for everyone's response, but it seems that this domain had been expired completely and had already gone through all the drop processes and was caught by godaddy as a fresh domain on Nov 28, 2012.

If I am the only bidder (it show only one bid for it and the $10 price) am I supposed to bid against myself. :?:

This domain does not appear in the results at godaddy auctions, I can only see it under my watch list when I log in, so I don't think that the general public can bid on it.

Basically what I am asking is that what is the difference between this domain and the other two that were caught for me successfully by godaddy, and why do I have to make additional bids on it if I am the only bidder.

Here is what the whois shows for it right now:

No match for "bigdataenterprise.com" in the registrar database.

Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Creation Date: 28-NOV-2012
Updated Date: 28-NOV-2012
Expiration Date: 28-NOV-2013

Nameserver: No nameserver

Registry Status: ok

This is what it shows when I click on " see underlying registry data "

Domain Name: BIGDATAENTERPRISE.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: No nameserver
Updated Date: 28-nov-2012
Creation Date: 28-nov-2012
Expiration Date: 28-nov-2013

>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:28:31 UTC <<<

Thanks, Ojohn

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I am the only bidder (it show only one bid for it and the $10 price) am I supposed to bid against myself. :?:
No. Please read my response.

Right now, it has one bid (you) because you backordered the name. Your backorder automatically triggered a bid and sent it to auction.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this was a pending delete, so its a closed auction. whoever backordered the domain first will show as the first bid. this does not mean there are not other bidders, you just won't see them until they bid (if they do).

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No. Please read my response.

Right now, it has one bid (you) because you backordered the name. Your backorder automatically triggered a bid and sent it to auction.
I am familiar with the process for domains that are registered at godaddy and that go to auction after they expire and might show an initial bid if someone has backorded them, but the domain name BigDataEnterprise.com seems to have already gone through all the drop processes and was caught by godaddy as a fresh domain on Nov 28, 2012. It had the same expiration date as the other two domains that were caught for me by godaddy at the time that I placed the backorder for them.

I still can't figure out why I have to make additional bids if I am the only bidder and that the auction is closed to the general public.

PS: I should add that I have no complaints about godaddy, I have been very happy with their services for the past few years. My question was about this specific backorder process that I had not encountered in the past and thought that some people here might know more about it.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting BigDataEnterprise.com through one of the godaddy affiliates. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom