Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Here's something that really irks me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

followyourbliss

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please, help me understand this one. Sometimes when I'm browsing the "Domains wanted" forum , the poster will say something to the effect, "don't want anything registered after 2003" (or whatever date...)

So my question is this. How do they know something FANTABULOUS isn't in my portfolio that I just bought yesterday???? I know enough to understand that the 3 letter domains are gone; and not alot left in 4 that's worth anything....but besides that, why do they say this?

I realize I'm probably sounding like a newbie here, but in fact, I am! So, (gulp) swallowing my pride and putting it out there. I really need an answer to this one because I actually feel insulted when I read this. (just a little.)

Looking forward to hearing back from one of the DNF experts.

Tanya

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most people that say this prefer older domain names. It is possible to register a domain name after 2003 that is worth a significant amount of money, but a lot of people will evaluate a domain name on the creation date, as well as many other factors. If they ask specifically for a domain name before 2003, I wouldn't post or PM them the domain, its their loss and if its a great domain, I'm sure you'll sell it eventually.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm with you, followyourbliss.
I am an equal opportunity domainer. I buy domains 10 years old and buy domains that were just registered. The original registration date is not that big of a factor for me.
Besides, a dropped name, no matter how good, will reflect an incorrect original registration date.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree..I buy domains that are a day old, and have ones that are 15 years old. It all depends on the domain, but of course some people do want the much older domains for SEO purposes as google weighs this heavily in ranking.

midgetlov

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the myth that age matters when it comes to SEO. Simply put, it only matters to the original registrant. As soon as the information is transfered to a new owner that will in essence "reset" the age of the domain. It is only a matter of time before Google recognizes the changes and adjusts their Trust/PageRank for the given site as well.

Of course - this is only my opinion that is based on about 7 years in the industry - but definitely shouldn't be construed as a proven fact.

-Midgetlov

followyourbliss

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the well rounded answers to my question. I appreciate having the perspectives of all of you. Now, I can select the one I like and have one of my own! You know what they say about opinions....*L*

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom