Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Hi + Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisrowe

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, am new to these boards and i expect i'll stay here for a while to come :-D

I've just got a few questions about the domain business:

- You will notice many big buyers will shell it out @ pool etc but not pay as much for domains otherwise.

Whats he on about when hes saying about pool?? Whats the pool?

- What exactly is enom, i sell enom accounts being sold etc and i presumed there linked to domains? so i was wonderin what it actuually is / does.

- Whats overture? And how do u find what overture a domain has?

- and the other 3 have TM issues.? What are TM issues

Heh quite a few questions i am new to this domain buying / selling.

Thanks

Chris

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Chris and welcome to DNForum.
Glad you are not afraid to ask questions about the domain business.
Pool is www.pool.com and is an Internet business consisting of a number of registrars who work together to snap up expired domains and sell them to anyone who wants to buy them. If you are the only one wanting to buy the name you get it for a fee of $60. If others want it as well then it goes into an auction and, guess what, folks can get carried awy and boost the price through the ceiling! There are a number of similar services from Snapnames, Namewinner, TheFirstName and others but Pool seems to have the most resources and so generally the greater success (although care is needed not to get charged for names you didn't order!).

Enom is www.enom.com they are a registrar where you can register domain names, generally at reasonable prices. Accounts from them can be obtained to buy names at $8.95 from any Enom reseller - some can sell you an account to buy names at $6.95 but those accounts usually change hands for over $300 each and are no longer available from Enom unless you deposit $6995 with them. Many resellers like Enom because of its useful reseller contol panel and features.

TM issues mean that there are trademark issues involved with a name that could get you into hot water with the trademark company. So for example if I offered to sell you microsoftsoftware.com and you bought it, you would likely end up with a C&D letter (cease and desist) from Microsoft's lawyers and possibly a huge legal bill to boot. Some resellers accept the risk of TM issues and don't get challenged, but if you are a newbie to the game, best to avoid these. If it sounds like a well-known company then better do your research and consult your lawyer before you buy/reg it.

Hope that helps, and again, welcome.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome to DNF chrisrowe! Say, are you related to Mike Rowe, of the recent MikeRoweSoft.com controversy? :)

As to why a guy will bid a name up to 5000 at Pool, but won't buy it from you for 500 is one of the great domain speculator mysteries!

AS you can see, members here are always willing to help! Don't be afraid to ask any questions you want, that's why this forum is here!

Best Wishes, and good luck!
WebCat

chrisrowe

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
thanks alot for all the answers, helped me get a bit more of a grip of the domain business :-D . . And btw i am no relation to Mike Rowe.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ChrisRoweSoft.com???? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom