Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

hiding the whois info

Status
Not open for further replies.

methods

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who offers hiding your info in the whois, the register right?

If so..which ones and why dont all of them offer that , shouldnt this be a right of ours, like not being listed in the phone book directory.

Dont know if I am imagining it or not but, I get alot more mail and telemarketers
then before I had domains.

I dont like having my personal info in the whois, it should be private, our right
to privacy.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i know with a .co.uk domain http://www.nominet.org.uk/ send out a letter with a code on so you can log in and select which data you want people to be able to see and what you dont want them to see, also can download a nice certificate that you own the domain

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
methods said:

If so..which ones and why dont all of them offer that , shouldnt this be a right of ours, like not being listed in the phone book directory.

Dont know if I am imagining it or not but, I get alot more mail and telemarketers

I dont like having my personal info in the whois, it should be private, our right
to privacy.

Most if not all registrars and resellers provide a privacy service
of sorts, especially the bigger ones like NetSol and Go Daddy.

Both registrars and resellers offer this as an additional service.

Currently, ICANN requires a domain's contact info to be displayed
in a public WHOIS database because this is the only way, so far,
to track down individuals or organizations involved in illicit or
illegal activities. But at least both the registrars and resellers
gave another option to work around that.

Only a court order, as far as I know, will force the registrar or
reseller to provide that info to the investigating authorities.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
methods said:

to privacy.

methods: try domainsite.com they offer for $4.99 year i believe. also the registrar offering 25 free .info domains--got mine last night; right after i paid $6.95 for another .info domain from my usual registrar.....lol

methods

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yea i got my 25 too . ha..its that fee per domain?

Nevermind...I ll go check it out.

Thanks

myblueshoes

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
methods said:
yea i got my 25 too . ha..its that fee per domain?

Nevermind...I ll go check it out.

Thanks
Also that's why people incorporate. In that case your company name /domain name will appear in the registrar's contact info. (& whois search) instead of a personal one.

As far as spam, there's an easier way...just create a 'dump' email account and update it to the default email address info. w/ the registrar. (Just be sure to have the DN's you have listed with that registrar renew automatically if possible, and check the dump email account once a month to see if anything of value comes your way)

methods

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LTmaster said:
Also that's why people incorporate. In that case your company name /domain name will appear in the registrar's contact info. (& whois search) instead of a personal one.

As far as spam, there's an easier way...just create a 'dump' email account and update it to the default email address info. w/ the registrar. (Just be sure to have the DN's you have listed with that registrar renew automatically if possible, and check the dump email account once a month to see if anything of value comes your way)

Good stuff...is it costly to incorporate, what does that mean exactly moneywise...do I share my profits with the inc.?

Talal

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most charge per domain.. is there any registrar who get paid for example $100 for 100+ or 500+ domain?

paying for using the service it self.

myblueshoes

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, (methods) incorporating makes sense (dollars/cents) for the long haul. Without getting too much into detail, it requires time/money upfront-how much you'll need to check out with the authorities where your local/state government.
The money is usually in a seperate account which you control and have access to like any other under your birth name.

The advantages*:

1. Liability- The inc. (corporation/LLC in USA) is your front so to speak - it will be the legal name/entity responsible for anything good or bad that you do instead of you (that's why people have companies).

2. ExpensesTaxes you can deduct all expenses at tax time (provided you plan to declare your income in the US); dn registration, dn marketing; websites; home office; car; computer; software...just about everything you use for your business and can provide a bill/recipt for can be deducted!

(Even if you don't incorporate- you may want to provide a p.o.box (if you need to receive snail mail) or simply provide a 'generic address' with your registrar if you don't want the whole world to know where you live.)

>One final note worth mentioning: I don't know if this applies to you but people will usually mirror your level of openess with information. Especially at the consumer level. If you are dealing with other brokers, middlemen and business this s not such a concern- but if your dealing with consumers, end users and people and you want them to buy something from you (and keep buying from you), at some point they will want to know who you are. :eek:k:

* here's much, much, much more:http://www.nolo.com/lawcenter/ency/article.cfm/ObjectID/3FD19141-DB91-4FCA-BDB93416A4D05479/catID/3FED35C1-7BBA-4468-901354F101CBEBE2

methods

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LTmaster said:
Well, (methods) incorporating makes sense (dollars/cents) for the long haul. Without getting too much into detail, it requires time/money upfront-how much you'll need to check out with the authorities where your local/state government.
The money is usually in a seperate account which you control and have access to like any other under your birth name.

The advantages*:

1. Liability- The inc. (corporation/LLC in USA) is your front so to speak - it will be the legal name/entity responsible for anything good or bad that you do instead of you (that's why people have companies).

2. ExpensesTaxes you can deduct all expenses at tax time (provided you plan to declare your income in the US); dn registration, dn marketing; websites; home office; car; computer; software...just about everything you use for your business and can provide a bill/recipt for can be deducted!

(Even if you don't incorporate- you may want to provide a p.o.box (if you need to receive snail mail) or simply provide a 'generic address' with your registrar if you don't want the whole world to know where you live.)

>One final note worth mentioning: I don't know if this applies to you but people will usually mirror your level of openess with information. Especially at the consumer level. If you are dealing with other brokers, middlemen and business this s not such a concern- but if your dealing with consumers, end users and people and you want them to buy something from you (and keep buying from you), at some point they will want to know who you are. :eek:k:

* here's much, much, much more:http://www.nolo.com/lawcenter/ency/article.cfm/ObjectID/3FD19141-DB91-4FCA-BDB93416A4D05479/catID/3FED35C1-7BBA-4468-901354F101CBEBE2

Thanks for the info, Gonna look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom