Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

High traffic names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why do I never see generic names selling with 2000+ type-in per day. Is it just me or can no one afford them?

Temp

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe because the domains with high traffic are too expensive.

M

mole

gsk008 said:
Why do I never see generic names selling with 2000+ type-in per day. Is it just me or can no one afford them?

Type-ins are an obselete lie today to inflate value and promote mindless low conversion traffic. Uglypeople.com which was sold for over $100k on a claim of 40,000 uniques a day is testimony to the fact that traffic is all about development, not speculation.

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gsk008 said:

Not sure of "the answer", nor may there be just any one answer to that question. Perhaps it's not just that domains of that value have equal (high) value price tags (that few can afford), but also, those types of domains are NOT often listed for sale.

I for one know if I had a domain getting 2000+ type-in's/day, I would NOT sell it, and would instead live off the traffic/ppc revenue. If someone approached me with an unsolicited interest in purchasing that domain, I would either happily advise that person the domain is not for sale, or if an offer is made, I may consider proposing an obscene counter-offer. :-D

Why sell the cow when you can sell the milk instead?

-Joe

skylight

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Joe said:
Not sure of "the answer", nor may there be just any one answer to that question. Perhaps it's not just that domains of that value have equal (high) value price tags (that few can afford), but also, those types of domains are NOT often listed for sale.

I for one know if I had a domain getting 2000+ type-in's/day, I would NOT sell it, and would instead live off the traffic/ppc revenue. If someone approached me with an unsolicited interest in purchasing that domain, I would either happily advise that person the domain is not for sale, or if an offer is made, I may consider proposing an obscene counter-offer. :-D

Why sell the cow when you can sell the milk instead?

-Joe

Yeah. why sell a Cow that earns you money unless you desperately need fast cash.

Kazam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know "why sell" when your making cash.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
isn't the purpose of selling to make more cash???
Assuming the offer is greater than 3 years of PPC income PLUS a big amount, then why not sell?

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gsk008 said:

They're around, but they tend to be pricey. For a domain with 2000+ type-ins of *targeted* traffic, figure on pricing of $250K to $500K minimum...and the price can easily go much higher if the domain has been developed (very likely), the content matter, etc.

In short, the main reasons for not seeing more such high type-in listings are scarcity and pricing.

Ron

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Type-ins are an obselete lie today to inflate value and promote mindless low conversion traffic. Uglypeople.com which was sold for over $100k on a claim of 40,000 uniques a day is testimony to the fact that traffic is all about development, not speculation.

I have some traffic names which are not targeted and get < 1% CTR and others which are well targeted and have incredible CTR's > 20%

In that case it may be better to be getting >20% from say only 20/day traffic vs <1% from 200/day, and the 20/day name will likely cost a lot less to buy as a bonus!

P.S. These figures are coming from Google AdSense new Channel Data.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
They're around, but they tend to be pricey. For a domain with 2000+ type-ins of *targeted* traffic, figure on pricing of $250K to $500K minimum...and the price can easily go much higher if the domain has been developed (very likely), the content matter, etc.

In short, the main reasons for not seeing more such high type-in listings are scarcity and pricing.

Ron
Very interesting data, what are you basing it on, just curious?

As a discussion, let's say one developed site gets 2,000/day type-ins (plus assume some odd traffic other ways too), do you think 10 developed sites which total 2,000/day and extra odd traffic too, would have overall value the same (est $500,000), higher or lower?

BTW, anyone can answer this with their opinions.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domains with targetted traffic are great and are worth ALOT of money, if we are talking about a premium domain name that is getting a thousand or two per day then the value of that domain is peaking right into the mid $xxx,xxx range for sure... it is best for somebody
(company) within a particular industry with one focus to have such a domain rather then spend four to five times as much on buying the targetted traffic from lets say google (talking within a period of at least one year or so)

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's the answer: :)

Here for the most part, you are dealing with people here that are somewhat more knowledge about domains that the general public, that is safe to say.

With that said, it would be very hard to convince someone to give up a domain that say makes $160 a day of landing page traffic even if the price is good. People generally won't give up constant revenue for a one time deal if they are thinking long term.

The problem with quick flips is like with any business you can end up with lots of inventory and zero cash flow which can be crippling and force a quick sale for cheap.

That said, it is best to have a domain KEPT in your portfolio that has 2000 plus typins a day rather than give it up if you can afford to hold it.

I would rather have 20 domains with over 2000 typins a day that 100,000 useless ones.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom