Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Higher minimum bids in some NameJet prerelease auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivid

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know, what is the nature of a minimum bid being considerably higher than the typical $69 in some NameJet pre-release auctions? Does it depend on the registrar, the name itself (manual decision?), something else? Also, as I see, it's possible to place a bid at any level below it; you see a message though that you won't be included in the auction until you raise your bid. I personally tend to understand 'Minimum' as the plain minimum allowed for backorder bid, but in this case it works just like a reserve price.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It is a reserve price, as it's a private sale.

vivid

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't quite understand, as the names I'm speaking about have either 'Pending Renewal or Deletion' or 'REACTIVATION PERIOD' as the registrant name in WHOIS. Also, it seems that there's usually a label 'reserve auction' in case of a private auction. Or, otherwise, is it possible that a seller can send a name to auction when a month has already passed since it entered the autorenew-grace period?

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Domains that are with Network Solutions and Register.com form the bulk of NJ auctions. They can change - and usually do - the domain's status to expired etc. when in fact it's a private sale. If the domain doesn't sell, its status is reverted.

vivid

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying, I haven't known that. It's strange a bit though that NameJet doesn't use the same mechanism for this that was introduced for private 3rd party sellers not so long ago, when the type of auction is obvious and it's clear that 'reserve' is a reserve.

vivid

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Though I forgot that the reserve price is unknown in case of standard private auctions, so probably not the exactly matching use-case.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In my opinion, they do that because people tend to bid higher 'believing' that the domain is expired versus a private sale ;)

vivid

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
About bidding higher for expired domains - sounds like true story for many buyers indeed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom