Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

highest quarterly figure for new domain registrations in the history of the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More than 4.7 million new domain names were registered during the first quarter of 2004, according to stats released Tuesday.

The report issued by VeriSign said the number is the highest quarterly figure for new domain registrations in the history of the Internet.

Complete Story At: http://www.internetnews.com/ent-new...cle.php/3365601

Dan

silhouette

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To date, 63 million domain names have now been registered, approximately one for every 100 people living in the world... :-D

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I find this info very relative to how well the market has built up.

It's not based on speculation and such, its based on earning.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"At the end of the first quarter, the .com domain remained the most popular, accounting for 45 percent of registered names. The country code domains .de (Germany) and .uk (United Kingdom) followed in the second and third tops spots, respectively, while the .net domain was fourth. "

.com has fallen to well below 50% ofthe total market ..5 years ago it held almost 80% of all registered domains.. ccTLDS moving in ..throw .Net back to 4th ..

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bidawinner wrote:

.com has fallen to well below 50% ofthe total market ..5 years ago it held almost 80% of all registered domains.. ccTLDS moving in
+++++++++++++

Hope springs eternal.

[.COM's] haven't declined in importance. The market has expanded enormously --meaning [.COM] has only grown less fast.

Why?

Because it came out of the gate so strong. [.COM] matured very very fast. There are limits to growth in any segment.

Many of the CC TLDs didn't exist 5 years ago. So of course their delta will be large.

Regardless of growth rates:

99.99% of the major entities on the net use [.COM]

98% of all the aftermarket sales for domains sold at $100,000+ are [.COM]

[.COM] is still the default for surfer type-ins.

[.COM] is still the King and will rule until the DNS system goes away.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
bidawinner wrote:

.com has fallen to well below 50% ofthe total market ..5 years ago it held almost 80% of all registered domains.. ccTLDS moving in
+++++++++++++

Hope springs eternal.

[.COM's] haven't declined in importance. The market has expanded enormously --meaning [.COM] has only grown less fast.

Why?

Because it came out of the gate so strong. [.COM] matured very very fast. There are limits to growth in any segment.

Many of the CC TLDs didn't exist 5 years ago. So of course their delta will be large.

Regardless of growth rates:

99.99% of the major entities on the net use [.COM]

98% of all the aftermarket sales for domains sold at $100,000+ are [.COM]

[.COM] is still the default for surfer type-ins.

[.COM] is still the King and will rule until the DNS system goes away.

Actually dotcomcowboy (you really need to use that name again) you couldnt be further from the truth.. MOST cctlds DID exist !

99% of Major entities WORLD WIDE do NOT use .com

I do agree with you .com is king. it is the strongest extension out there ..that wasnt my point..the POINT is growth in alternative extesnions Including ccTLDS has surged in the past 5 years.. of ALL extesnions .DE is second ..only to .com .. think about that for a moment.. .com which you think the whole world of what ..10 billion people is forever dominant... but in just 5 years Germany with a population of less than 100 million has take 2nd placeof all domains registered..

As far as aftermarket prices..as seen at Dukes dn journal
http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

it's very clear that MANY extensions can be very profitable to speculate in ...

most here ..most anywheres will never hold a $100,000 name anyways... but many here do make 10k deals in alternative extensions nearly everyday ..

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bidawinner said:
most here ..most anywhere will never hold a $100,000 name anyways... but many here do make 10k deals in alternative extensions nearly everyday ..

Exactly. I don't know why such a simple point is so hard for so many to grasp. Currently the biggest .com-only boosters around here get 0% of the big money .com sales. Yet for some reason they think that is better than getting...pick a number....any number...even 1% of the three to five figure new TLD sales. Must be the new math! :-D

"Hope" no longer has a frigging thing to do with it. I am paying my bills with cash from New TLD sales (11 in three figures in the past 7 days alone). I always thought Rip Van Winkle was a fictitious character but I was obviously wrong. No skin off my nose, but the snoring is getting a little annoying. :)

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"most here ..most anywhere will never hold a $100,000 name anyways... but many here do make 10k deals in alternative extensions nearly everyday .."

not to attempt to contradict yourself, but $10k deals on non .com extensions?

thats almost unheard of.

.de it seems to happen a lot.

but otherwise, not really.

but .net, no

.org, no

.info, its happened quite a few times this year.

.us, once.

I'd be very curious to hear what the top .net and .org sales are, excluding engineering.org which I heard was a little odd, I've yet to hear of a half decent .net or .org sale.

.info seems like a much stronger investment.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:

Considering the lower cost of entry and the high resale values we're seeing (not hoping for....seeing), I would agree with that. Very little risk and huge potential rewards with good .info names. .Orgs have done well for me too but rarely go into four figures. .Nets I have no use for - gave them two years and it was a waste of time.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
"most here ..most anywhere will never hold a $100,000 name anyways... but many here do make 10k deals in alternative extensions nearly everyday .."

not to attempt to contradict yourself, but $10k deals on non .com extensions?

thats almost unheard of.

.de it seems to happen a lot.

but otherwise, not really.

but .net, no

.org, no

.info, its happened quite a few times this year.

.us, once.

I'd be very curious to hear what the top .net and .org sales are, excluding engineering.org which I heard was a little odd, I've yet to hear of a half decent .net or .org sale.

Not anymore unheard of than .com 100K sales! lol

name 50 .coms that sold for more than 100K the past 6months ,past 12 months ..

out of 28 million registered !

I agree Info is very strong , really nice steady sales , .DE is simply amazing , weve seen some really nice .Biz sales go through ,I even sold a .Biz for nearly $1,400 last year .US is finally showing sales in the thosands I have .WS that you are going to drop your jaw when I show the sales prices ..

It isnt a .com world anymore..hasnt been for some time...

Yes ,they are many people,that still deal only in .com..there will always be that market..all we are saying is it is not by any stretch of imagination the only market with good aftermarket sales potential

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually dotcomcowboy (you really need to use that name again)

I AM STILL A COWBOY AT HEART..

you couldnt be further from the truth.. MOST cctlds DID exist !

THE GOLD RUSH FOR THE ALTERNATIVE TLDs SUCH AS .INFO HAPPENED AFTER THE BOOM. THE CC TLDs TECHNICALLY EXISTED, BUT THAT'S ABOUT ALL.

99% of Major entities WORLD WIDE do NOT use .com

I DISAGREE. 99% OF THE MULTINATIONALS USE [.COM]: SONY.COM, BP.COM, MICROSOFT.COM, VIRGIN.COM, ETC..

I do agree with you .com is king. it is the strongest extension out there ..that wasnt my point..the POINT is growth in alternative extesnions Including ccTLDS has surged in the past 5 years.. of ALL extesnions .DE is second ..only to .com .. think about that for a moment.. .com which you think the whole world of what ..10 billion people is forever dominant... but in just 5 years Germany with a population of less than 100 million has take 2nd placeof all domains registered..

As far as aftermarket prices..as seen at Dukes dn journal
http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

it's very clear that MANY extensions can be very profitable to speculate in ...

OF COURSE, BUT THAT WAS NOT THE POINT..

most here ..most anywheres will never hold a $100,000 name anyways... but many here do make 10k deals in alternative extensions nearly everyday ..

AGAIN, NOT THE POINT. THERE IS A LARGE WORLD OF BUSINESS BEYOND DOMAIN SPECULATION!

MY POINT WAS THAT ANY LEGITIMATE INTERNATIONAL ENTITY USES [.COM]. THAT'S THE CONVENTION.

CRIPES, EVEN SEDO BOUGHT A [.COM]. BUT IT DIDN'T STOP THEM FROM A PRETZEL LOGIC SALES PITCH FOR THE ALT TLDs. OH WELL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom