Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

HostGator the best hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HostGator is the best hosting?
I'm ignorant about this argument...some friends tell me they are one of the best.
Any suggestion?

C

Chuck

Don't know if I'd call them the best, however I have used them for over a year now, had to get away from GD, and have been very happy...no problems at all so far.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have used them for over a year now, had to get away from GD, and have been very happy...no problems at all so far.

Thanks Chuck!

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have used hostgator for about 2 years and I'm very happy with them.

I have 157 accounts/websites and pay $35 a month.

They are reliable and have good support.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have used hostgator for about 2 years and I'm very happy with them.

I have 157 accounts/websites and pay $35 a month.

They are reliable and have good support.

Thanks!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Baby Gator great. $7.95 month on a full year plan.

If you are not familiar with cPanel, it can be a little tricky. But now it is easy.

I have perhaps 50 or 60 sites up. Unlimited number of domains hosted.

Fantastico (part of cPanel) is awesome with WordPress, Joomla 1.0 and Joomla 1.5, Drupal, Ruby all pre-loaded.

For the price and features hard to imagine one better.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have small sites and do not care about the speed of the server or uptime, then HostGator will work fine. However if you have any sites that receive a decent amount of traffic or that you care about being up, then I recommend hosting elsewhere.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you were unhappy with and where you moved the sites to?

Same question here.
Where move your sites from HostGator?

Please give me some links.

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well...i moved to JaguarPC....and the tech guys there seem to be totally clueless...a royal pain in the arse in moving all my sites over.....totally retarted about how wordpress works.....some sites dont even function the same as before...a real nightmare...with more and more chapters as I go on with them......now i dont know what to do...go back to Hostgator??

T

tekz999

I have not tried them fully. But I had once signed up with them for a 0.01 monthly plan, and I cancelled it, then they gave me a full refund for the $0.01, i was surprised. But I always remember them that point onwards. They sure know about customer service.

C

Chuck

well...i moved to JaguarPC....and the tech guys there seem to be totally clueless...a royal pain in the arse in moving all my sites over.....totally retarted about how wordpress works.....some sites dont even function the same as before...a real nightmare...with more and more chapters as I go on with them......now i dont know what to do...go back to Hostgator??

Tony what issues did you have with HG that led you to move away in the first place?

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i was very disoriented with the interface and found easy tasks incredibly time consuming and hugely distracting. Also, i had to call and kick the dns and name purchase over the phone after waiting several days, my customer service call turned into a cati self-assisted hand reg!

what the hell were they waiting for?,
an astounding chore with such a big name host.

~Isis~

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my current host is hostgator....they are very good. I've got their Aluminum reseller account...no problems so far.

The thing i like is the online support chat. I can't imagine waiting 24-48 hours for a response if there's a problem with my hosting like it used to be. Now i can usually get my issues resolved in 5 minutes for the most part.

hope that helps :D

ohkus

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't get why people use companies that massively oversell. There is no way hostgator can give you unlimited everything for $7.95/month (two trips to starbucks cost more). If you have a site that brings you in any sort of revenue go to a host that actually can deliver on what it promises.

C

Chuck

I don't get why people use companies that massively oversell. There is no way hostgator can give you unlimited everything for $7.95/month (two trips to starbucks cost more). If you have a site that brings you in any sort of revenue go to a host that actually can deliver on what it promises.

Of course, it really depends on what type or size of site you are running. I think most of these hosts can call it "unlimited" because the majority of sites they attract aren't consuming tons of bandwidth, etc..

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not the best, HG have their fair share of troubles. I've had several accounts with them for years and can't call myself a fully satisfied customer, but it's ok somehow.

Their security is almost non existent, I had my accounts hacked many times and every time instead of trying to fix things they disabled my account and blamed me for causing troubles on the server.. Support is quite awful, but you can't expect much from a big company that indeed oversells terribly.
However as long as you only run a few small sites you'll be fine.

ohkus

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They don't now but as those sites grow and as users create more web sites they will use more resources.

Not the best, HG have their fair share of troubles. I've had several accounts with them for years and can't call myself a fully satisfied customer, but it's ok somehow.

Their security is almost non existent, I had my accounts hacked many times and every time instead of trying to fix things they disabled my account and blamed me for causing troubles on the server.. Support is quite awful, but you can't expect much from a big company that indeed oversells terribly.
However as long as you only run a few small sites you'll be fine.

Then why not go to a decent host like www.medialayer.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom