Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Hosting... what's the difference when using things like 10Mbps etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered.... what is the difference of using something like a 10Mbps through the host for example or getting a specific amoutn of bandwidth/month from them?

Obviously their must be advantages to using things like 10Mbps etc; but the only thing I see is a disadvantage.... if the connection fills up with too many people trying to get through at once then it's not going to be good for your users then is it? Also..... if you're just paying for this connection line speed rather than a certain amoutn of bandwidth/month.... then how does the host control your bandwidth usage like? I don't get it? :huh:

Could someone please fill me in... thx! :)

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Make sure the network card on your server is set to 100 Mbps not 10 Mbps. The difference will be huge in terms of the speed. Usually will get charged based bandwidth usage not the network card setting.

-=DCG=-

rdmedia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With Mbps hosting you have a certain bandwidth you are allowed to use. In this case 10mbps, they will charge a 95% percentile which means they'll remove the 5% highest spikes and what remains (your daily average) is the amount of mbps you've used. This way you're not limited to a certain amount of GB but you're allowed to have a certain amount of load all the time if your spikes are not too high.

per GB = you can drive 100 miles max
Mbps = you can drive 60mph max everyday

That's the analogy that explained it best for me :wink:

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So in theory how many mph is per GB really?

rdmedia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
So in theory how many mph is per GB really?

Generally 1mbps is considered to be equal to 320GB but of course there's no exact comparison available.

adill420

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
few things worth remembering are..whether the connection of 10mbps is dedicated or shared...dedicated meaning the port of 10mbps is going to your server only..shared is shared..if it is shared you want to know how many servers is it being shared with and if it is overselling..

imho..worth going with a plan that has dedicated gb transfer limit rather than 10mbps..i once got lucky with a company and got 100mb shared with atleast 20mbps at all times for the price of what one would pay for a 10mbps shared..now i am regretting :(

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys..... basically I was just trying to work out what would provide better speed for my site if it is getting a lot of requests. Would changing over to something like a 10Mbps connection be faster in my case then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom