Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Hotmail filters to stop spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We get every day several viruses in an @hotmail.com email.
Is there a way to filter "ALL" messages with attachments getting them automatically deleted ? Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got the whole of hotmail and yahoo on deny receipt. I never used to get useful mail from anyone there and it seems to be all kids, frauds, spammers and virus propagators.

If you haven't got any clients there, just block the whole domain, what sort of business would use a hotmail account anyway?

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi DP,

If you use Outlook or Outlook Express for your email, you can use message rules to handle certain messages for you automatically. In your instance you would want to set up a message rule that would delete all messages with attachments. In Outlook, go to "tools" and then "message rules" and set it up as you need.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The othe important thing to do is to set the security zone to "restricted" and not to "internet" which is the default.

It's still easier to ban hotmail and yahoo completely though. Spammers are sending mail without attachments. And viruses/trojans are starting to use active-x instead of attachments.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think O Express filters can have effect on Hotmail's messages because they've indipendent folders and rules when you configure them.

Apart this, here's the real nature of my problem:

- I don't use an Hotmail account for business but I'm currently forwarding 3 diff. addresses on the same Hotmail account only to use the main filter (in my dreams) to take out any sort of viruses and attachments.

So, for what I understand, there's no way to avoid getting such attachments without losing other messages without attachments ... Ok, thanks anyone for your help.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
One comment that I make on occasions is

"smoking reduces libido". This seems to be an established medical fact, but I invariably get the reply "it doesn't give me a problem". I don't often make the obvious reply about life improvement if they had an even stronger libido.

Think of how much stronger your business would be if you hadn't lost the new clients that walked away because you were using Hotmail.

This is a typical bigoted posting by a non-smoking, non- hotmail user, but it does contain a grain of truth. :D

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There's another important thing few people know:

- Basing on my personal experience and on deep tests on dozens of diff. email providers conducted in the last 2 years, I discovered something shicking: many messages sent to us go often lost !!!

Yes, believe me, my tests demonstrate this ... sometimes they're delivered with days of delay but, in the pire of cases, they're never delivered (and not always the sender get an alert message explaining the problem occurred).

hotmail and yahoo are those provider which lost less messages then all others ... (I'll test aol soon).

M

mole

Isn't it a wee bit shady to deal with a seller that uses a hotmail account? I would worry about the trust element.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi jh3.

I hope you aren't going to take this posting the wrong way.

Posting your email addy in a public forum like this is an invitation to spammeres to blitz you. There were a couple of threads about reduced speed on this board because it had been hit by email addy spiders a few days ago. It also leaves your address in the temp internet files of people browsing this forum. Temp onternet files is one of the primary harvesting areas for viruses such as Klez. For some reason, hotmail and yahoo users seem to have less respect for their addresses and leave them all over the place, and this is one reason why there are so many bad emails coming from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom