Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How can I come about shutting down sites that sells illegal copy of my script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How can I come about shutting down sites that sells illegal copy of my script? From time to time, people contact me because they had purchased an illegal copy of myGameScript and unable to set it up and running. I found out that most of those customers end up buying illegal copy of the game site from ebay. I even have a few links from customers where they download my script.

Can someone please tell me if there is anything I can do? How can I warn these people to stop selling my script?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Kindly Regards,

Kawing

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would send each USER a kind but firm letter explaining you are the owner, that the Seller had no lawful right to sell you the copyrighted script, and give them a chance to "get legal" with you. Give them 10-30 days to get right. Then, send them a C&D. Let them worry about dealing with the Seller. If you know who they are, send them a C&D to CYA.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would send each USER a kind but firm letter explaining you are the owner, that the Seller had no lawful right to sell you the copyrighted script, and give them a chance to "get legal" with you. Give them 10-30 days to get right. Then, send them a C&D. Let them worry about dealing with the Seller. If you know who they are, send them a C&D to CYA.

That is the long shot.
If the hosting company is a reputable one, they will do all the checking for you including terminate the account.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They could also be overseas and/or be their own hosting company. I'd try to catch more flies with honey than vinegar. From a business point of view, I'd try to become the hero offering support to the end user. But what does our resident officer of the court think? JB -- You out here?

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, I still support them. I even offer them discount for buying a licensed copy from my website. The thing is... I want to get that illegal seller to stop selling my game script. I will try to contact ebay and see what they can do, at the same time, try to help my customer to get a refund.

Anyone have an example of a C&D I can send out to warn that seller? What does C&D stand for? I heard of it couple times in the past.

Thanks.

Kawing

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you... I will send that out to that seller now. I hope I can get the info from whois. Otherwise, I will have to force ebay to give me the contact info.

Thanks.

Brett Lewis

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. C & D
2. DMCA copyright infringement notice to company hosting the infringer's material (although they can always use overseas host or pop up on another site)
3. Injunction (costly unless you make a lot of $$)

If your script is registered with the U.S. Copyright office, you can get attorney's fees and treble damages for willful infringement. You should register.

Sadly, in some cases, there is not much you can do, especially when dealing with parties overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom