Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

how can I improve my pagerank on google?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Backlinks, original content, code that validates well and hard work. Sometimes just having an original bright idea for site that generates a ton of traffic will help with the aforementioned without busting your back.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
backlinks are the only thing involved in the pagerank formula

Each backlink is scored based on their pagerank and divided up to each page it links to

content and coding have nothing to do with pagerank

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pagerank is so easy to attain it's almost pointless. I'm never impressed when I see pagerank on a site, but im scepticle when I see 0 pagerank. Simply get a banklink or two from a similar site with PR.. People charge for this service but really your much better off to get it yourself.

I've managed PR4 on a few sites from a PR2 backlink of an unrelated site. It isnt a science. I do suggest when your going for PR be sure and get it with and without the www... When I see PR with a www and 0 without or vise/versa I usually suspect some cheap backlinking. People selling sites mention PR on the site their selling and I always have to bite my lip as it's often BS PR and people use it to sell a turnkey site in an already saturated market (selling a lemon).

To get the PR with and without the www be sure and balance the links best you can. If you have a few backlinks with http://www.mofodomain.com be sure on your page you have the "Home" link as http://mofodomain.com or at least one of those backlinks without the www (gives balance) Also on your index page try and keep the nav bar items such as "Contact Us" and "About" with links in html rather than an =action leading you to an un-pagerankable page. It's more impressive when the pages within the site have PR and by linking off the mainpage/s to the actual call/page this will help get it quickly.

Burp™

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Getting a PR7 is NOT easy, so I wouldn't go as far as saying it's pointless. Aftertall, it is Google's way of ranking the importance of pages on the web. It's better then having no scaling system at all.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Getting a PR7 is NOT easy, so I wouldn't go as far as saying it's pointless. Aftertall, it is Google's way of ranking the importance of pages on the web. It's better then having no scaling system at all.

It does has relevance, but to know if the PR posted is good or not you have to understand how it works and research the claims by looking at the sites from the backlinks. (Question) WTF is PR when it's attained through backlinks ? (Answer) it's pointless.

I got PR on sites with "Coming Soon" as its content. So really, PR means nothing without researching how it was gotten.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pagerank is so easy to attain it's almost pointless. I'm never impressed when I see pagerank on a site, but im scepticle when I see 0 pagerank. Simply get a banklink or two from a similar site with PR.. People charge for this service but really your much better off to get it yourself.

I've managed PR4 on a few sites from a PR2 backlink of an unrelated site. It isnt a science. I do suggest when your going for PR be sure and get it with and without the www... When I see PR with a www and 0 without or vise/versa I usually suspect some cheap backlinking. People selling sites mention PR on the site their selling and I always have to bite my lip as it's often BS PR and people use it to sell a turnkey site in an already saturated market (selling a lemon).

To get the PR with and without the www be sure and balance the links best you can. If you have a few backlinks with http://www.mofodomain.com be sure on your page you have the "Home" link as http://mofodomain.com or at least one of those backlinks without the www (gives balance) Also on your index page try and keep the nav bar items such as "Contact Us" and "About" with links in html rather than an =action leading you to an un-pagerankable page. It's more impressive when the pages within the site have PR and by linking off the mainpage/s to the actual call/page this will help get it quickly.

Burp™

Actually most SEO experts advise the opposite advice. Why spread your pagerank between 2 pages (www and without)? This will only potentially hurt any benefit you may gain from the SERPs due to pagerank.

All my sites are www because I redirect them. That has nothing to do with links or being shady. It's simply a matter of focusing your efforts. Let's say you 500 links to get a PR5. Why get 500 for www and 500 more for without just to have 2 PR5 pages?

I really don't understand how you came to the conclusion that a PR0 on a nonexistent page means something.

www.mydomain.com PR5 EXISTS
mydomain.com PR0 isn't even a page since it redirects to the www

Instead you should be redirecting all your non-www pages to the www for pinpointing your links.

Try .htaccess with something like this

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.domain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.domain.com/$1 [L,R=301]

picobello

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok only backlinks matter but providing that your page elements & structure are well set, defined and clean (ex: Description & Keywords metas, page title, no hidden links, pages kewords rleated to anchors ones, etc ....)

Each backlink is scored based on their pagerank and divided up to each page it links to

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

That's just not true - it weighs the VALUE of your page as determined by a number of factors including content and if the bot can't read your page - it can't determine if you have any worthy content.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are confusing SERPs with PR. How a page ranks in the search engines is different than how it's pagerank is determined. PageRank as asked by the OP has nothing to do with content. I am not sure where you came up with this notion but I suggest you do some searching.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have no sites over four months old less than PR5 - I know what I am doing.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's not true in the statements above is the fact that internal navigation links play a role in PR calculation as well. Pagerank get's passed around your site too.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

That's from Google itself.

http://www.google.com/technology/

Anyone can be wrong and in this case you are wrong. Your pages are not PR5 because of content...they are PR5 based on the inbound links to the pages. If you have evidence otherwise please post. Find a credible source that says otherwise.

Read this page if you don't believe me...also just google for "what is pagerank" and you can get a ton of results all saying pretty much the exact same thing...that pagerank is determined solely be quality of inbound links to your site. It's not a mystery.

http://www.iprcom.com/papers/pagerank/

interlution

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks labrocca, I used your htaccess tip to redirect non-www to www on one of my sites.

Google was indexing www and non-www seperately and haphazardly. PR's varied greatly, and the www usually didn't match the non-www PR. I think it's important to force indexing and surfing of the www pages. A lot of the major sites appear to do this, google.com redirects to www.google.com, yahoo.com, microsoft.com, etc.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1 link from one of my more popular image upload sites to an unrelated domain name with a coming soon in the form of index.shtml without meta this or that gave me PR 4 in the first update.. That is the second time I managed that exact scenario. With that PR4 and the site finally going live months later I did my insite links with and without the www through the site and got some pr on other pages as well. PR can be relevant, but really it doesn't take alot of effort outside of a little key tapping to get it. Alexa rank is similar and unreliable.

To be honest I do like having a decent PR and even Alexa rank, but I don't jump through hoops to get it as it doesnt effect revenue unless I tried to sell the site/s in a forum and use the PR as a sales tactic. I used to care when I only had ten or 20 sites with decent PR, but now I have so many I'm beginning to dislike green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom