Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How come some registrars could care less and leave all their domains unlocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that some registrars (bug companies such as BulkRegister) still do not automatically lock all domains under their control.
Kudos to Fabulous for making sure all domains are locked, even automatically checking and fixing after transfers take place. They even make sure that when you request to transfer a domain away, that there is only a short window the domain stays unlocked for (all automatically).

Why are some registrars so careless that they leave their customers assets wide open for danger?

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Its not the registrars responsibility to lock the domains of its customers, its the domains owners responsibilities, every registrar out there offers the feature, its the owners responsibility to lock the odmain.

Think of it like buying a car. Every car dealer out there builds in locks in the car door, and gives you a key, but they don't go around checking making sure that your locking your car door. And if by the unfortunate event that you forget to lock your car door, and it gets stolen you cannot blame the manufacturer for it, its your fault as the owner.

At least thats how I see it. Anyone else care to share their opinions

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying its not a cool feature, or added security, what I'm saying is if they do not have it, it doesent make the registrar reckless or in any way bad, it just means they don't have an extra service which is not required and should not be required of the registrar.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When it's easier to steal a domain than order a pizza, the registrar should care.
This cannot be compared to a car dealer selling cars and always making sure you lock your doors.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hehehe...i think people forget that...if a domain is unlocked, and a transfer is initiated.. it will be released by the registrar within 5-7 days or something like that if nothing is done about it.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right.
It's not like theives can send an email and steal a car.
Or send 1,000 emails and steal 7 cars.
It's very different.

All it would take is some hours of programming and testing to build this functionality into the software that the registrars use.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what about when you transfer them in? Do they automatically lock them after they arrive?

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
during a transfer, some registrars like enom for example will ask you if you want to lock the domain afterwords, etc.

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Still every domainer should lock domains at the end line its your responsibility to lock domains and keep whois info current. a registrar cannot be blamed for it.

It is in no way reckless or careless on their part, it is the sole fault of the domainer. Yes it is not that difficult to add the feature, but it is still the domain owners responsibility, not the registrars.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, but this is an instance where a little programming effort can go an extremely long way.
Most people that own domains know little about the lock and transfer system.
There's maybe one hundred million domains having been registered across the web, and only a few professional domainers that know this process inside and out. The rest of the world knows little about this system.
It is the registrars responsibility to educate their customers about this.
And the good registrars lead the pack by taking it upon themselves to ensure their customers are protected by having systems in place to constantly check & correct.
I don't agree with you one bit, slavahosting.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[QUOTEIm not sure about
domainsite with transfers, I have never transfered to domainsite, I only register new or receive pushes, When i receive a push my domains seem to be locked

Domainsite has locked every transfer on over 60 name I have moved over there in the past year.
I always double check to make sure the names are locked and to update the dns.
I know this is a bit off topic but, Domainsite has a nice feature where you can set the dns for incoming names & new regs. The support is great to.

I still feel that it is the owner of the name to check the lock status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom