Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How did everyone here start domaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thought it would make an interesting thread to see how DNF users became domainers.- Look forward to hearing your story.- How many here are full time domainers? :)

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a name for a site I was developing. in the process I discovered the aftermarket for buying and selling domain names. Since then I have learned a lot, lucky enough to make only a few mistakes and stayed in the black since.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I somehow ran across domain listings on eBay 10+ years ago. I bought a few and flipped them for a small profit. It's been all downhill ever since!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a coworker walked into my office one day and ask me to check out one of those "making money online catalog" sites.

she was interested in how they worked and whether they were legit or not.

at the time, i had only regged a couple of domain names and wasn't really into websites or domain names, so i asked here why she came to me.

she said.... "God, told her to ask me"

and that's how i ended up here

true story!

BTW: the womans name is Mary

:)

Argie

InteractiveWork.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was searching ways to make money online and ended up here, this was year 2000, although I didn't join DNF until 2004

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One domain at a time... lucky for me one of the first ones was dnforum.com ;)

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We're lucky too, Adam! Very part time gig for me. Got tired of playing video games after work each night like a chair carrot (I don't like coach potatoes). The week after a Superbowl, I decided to see WTF GoDaddy was. Hook...Line...and the best (or worst) part, Sinker. Luckily I stumbled onto Adam's site, did some homework and am starting to make some ROI, at rates much better than any bank, stock or commodity I ever came across!

Last edited:

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To be totally honest :)

I don't know how I got in... and I don't know how to get out. lmao :pound:

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I blame it on Google, Yola, and Industry Canada. I participated in their program which let you register a domain name and build a site on Yola, free for the first year. I registered puckerhuddle.ca ( puckerhuddle is the historic name of the village that I live near by before being renamed in the late 1800's). I never built the website but after opening a go daddy account my cards got a good workout. Now I'm trimming names.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't domain full time but I am a full time web developer.

I kind of just fell into it. I was domaining before I knew what domaining was and when I thought I had some sort of domain collection obsession I ended up finding DNForum.

GypsyBee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I suppose I started 'domaining' in 1998. However, I developed most of the names I regged, as I was more focused on web development for ad revs and clients. In May of 1999, soon after the NetSol monopoly ended, I started regging lots more domains and became a reseller for a few registrars. 9 bucks per reg was sure a far cry from 70 bucks a shot since we had to reg for 2 years by default then 35 bucks thereafter. I think Joker was even 7 bucks or maybe 6. I don't remember exactly.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got into it cause it was a way to release some creative ideas...and it was actually fun...next thing you know.. :frusty:

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Well, since my post was removed I guess people won't know unless they visit my blog and check out the January 4th, 2013 post. And my blog is in my sig, BTW.

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I started domaining in 2008 after reading a success-diggest news paper in my Country and since then I couldn't exit the business even though never make a single pence; but always hopeful after finished from DnfCollege.com and certified by protrada.

Have registered up to 200 domains so far and have only about 12 left with me.

A wonderful business that requires a lot of ideas.

Cheers.

Last edited:

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have registered up to 200 domains so far and have only about 12 left with me.

:noidea: 188 missing domains

What did you do with them??? drop them? sell them? set them on fire?:flame:

just curious :yo:

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
have dropped them because and people have picked them and they are still existing whith them now, that was when I never no what it really requires to recognize good domains, until I have studied with DNFCollege and recently certified by protrada.

I never knew anything much about this business as at then.

Cheers.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Elevatoria...just remember it's not a race...go slow

If you want help just ask. There are lots of good people on here that will give you great advice. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom