Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale How did my email get released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
On February 16th's TBR, some issues came up between dnforum.com and a certain variant in the .ca TLD.

Most DNF users who deal in .ca's know what I'm talking about.

So, I get the following email just a few minutes ago...

Hi,

I wanted to take this opportunity and invite you to http://www.---.ca

The domain name forum for Canadians. Membership is free. Hoping to see you there!

Thanks,

Samer

I thought this site got taken down?

That's between dnforum.com and whoever may be infringing on its intellectual property. Nothing to do with me.

What I'm complaining about, is how did my email address get released? This email is not on any of my WHOIS records, it has not been publicly posted on dnforum, and so happens to be the email address with which my dnforum account is registered.

Does this mean that dnforum.com was hacked so that the owner of this new forum could notify all of dnforum.com's users to join said new forum?

Any insight as to what's going on would be appreciated - admins, please feel free to PM me with your email address and I will forward the email to you as evidence if need be.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure you never did any correspondence with him?

100%. I don't think this email has been released to even 50 entities.

I would not doubt for a second that dnforum.com could have been hacked, as a year or so ago, I got an fake email from "dnforum.com" saying I got a private message, saying that at this link I can view "nude pics".

Hacking is something that should not be taken lightly, especially when trying to drive business away from dnforum.com.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did either of you resond to his offer to give you the TBR list for the 16th and perhaps give him your email when he requested it to send the list?

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did either of you resond to his offer to give you the TBR list for the 16th and perhaps give him your email when he requested it to send the list?

I don't recall requesting such. In fact, that week's TBR slipped my mind entirely.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just thought it might have happened as several sent him a PM with emails to get list...

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I received an inviation. I have sold him domains...not offended at all.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While you believe that you have not 'released' your e-mail address, you have given it out numerous times. One would likely discover that your e-mail address was harvested using a scraper program, either directly run against the WHOIS at CIRA or that of a .ca registrar.

How did my email get released?

On February 16th's TBR, some issues came up between dnforum.com and a certain variant in the .ca TLD.

Hi,

I wanted to take this opportunity and invite you to http://www.---.ca

The domain name forum for Canadians. Membership is free. Hoping to see you there!

Thanks,

Samer

That's between dnforum.com and whoever may be infringing on its intellectual property. Nothing to do with me.

What I'm complaining about, is how did my email address get released? This email is not on any of my WHOIS records, it has not been publicly posted on dnforum, and so happens to be the email address with which my dnforum account is registered.

Does this mean that dnforum.com was hacked so that the owner of this new forum could notify all of dnforum.com's users to join said new forum?

Any insight as to what's going on would be appreciated - admins, please feel free to PM me with your email address and I will forward the email to you as evidence if need be.

tt9000

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i just join today morning.........

mikeyboy

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

torontotherapist.com shows your whois ???

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
torontotherapist.com shows your whois ???

Someone did his research :)

That name being a .com, how would it implicate me as an owner of a .ca name? And furthermore, why would it suggest anything about me being a domainer?

Obviously, the way you connected me to that name was looking in my recent posts when I sought an appraisal for it a few months back. But why would this person do all this research on individual users and all of said users' posts, somehow connect my involvement in the .ca community, and use my whois on a .com domain to send me an invitation to a forum which I refuse to have any involvement with for a host of reasons?

The potential gain is not worth it. It is simply not logical. It would all have to have been done manually. And that's just for me. To send these out on a mass basis, it would have taken days and days to gather the email addresses.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would only take minutes if you have the tools.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Nope this is impossible.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom