Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How do YOU build a community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamajii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just as the topic states I was rather curious about how everyone here has built up their site traffic and community wise. I started a new site 2 months ago and it is growing rather slowly which I don't mind right now as I am adding new features to it everyday. I just would like the forums to become atleast a little bit more active then they currently are. I run an Anime site btw. The domain is TheAnimePlace.com It is meant to be a onestop shop for every anime person's needs ( minus the actual purchasing of anime ). I originally started it because I got tired of having to go to 12 different sites when I needed or wanted to find something.

I wish to apologize ahead of time if I have posted this in the wrong forum. I am still getting used to all the many different ones available.

theguy

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could try offering "prizes" in your forums for those who stay there. People always like free stuff.

Crazysah

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could have a refferal contest?

Dzelil

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Offering some kind of service in return always brings users

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Buy banner advertising on similar sites.
2. Members won't sign up if the site looks dead, so get some active posters before advertising, by posting in forums.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are a LOT of really good anime related sites with really large communities and many are loyal to their forum of preference.
To draw them in you need to have some awesome information and also let them participate in some way. For instance contests with regard to artwork are a good way. Also maybe have an area where members can post their artwork.
It would be a good idea to purchase some advertising space at someplace like gaiaonline.com or even neopets.com. Both have loyal followings and users will click throuhg to your site.
Build a good affiliate directory and definitely trade links. This is an area where affiliation is very important and actually works.

GL

John

Kamajii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I appreaciate the suggestions thus far and I hope that everyone will continue to give them. This is some of the things I have planned thus far:

I have some anime DVDs that are still in their wrappers that I plan on giving away in various Fan Art and Fan Fiction contests. I also hope to beable to give away the occasional year subscription to the world famous magazine 'NewType'. As far as some of the things we have planned to keep the community within each other. Some of you who have been around the net for MANY years may remember character chips that you could collect from a website and put them on your homepage to show off your collection. I have plans to revive this lost ancient art in the form of trading cards. Virtual trading cards that you can buy, sell, trade, or auction off to other members on the forums. I have written a special phpBB store modification for this sole purpose. You will be able to earn Yen ( our site's currency ) throughout the entire site. Posting comments, Fan Arts, Fan Fictions, news comments, posting in the forums, and etc. All these things will help you earn points. You can then buy common and uncommon cards from the store with the money you earned. And to have the chance to get the rare cards you can get them by surfing the site and forums. You will have a 1 in n chance to win a rare card at random.

These are just a few things we had in store. Anything else you guys give me is greatly appreciated.

stagefour

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well to start one you must have a purpose. and provide what the people wants from you. get them addicted to you. alwasy first impression is good!

cogeek

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Th emost things i will say are already said but i would like ++add
Just add as many contest's you can, and add offers like every 50 post a present ;), but i think you should provide an active community with not many banners, also the Bsystem plays much, add vBulletin is the best! Also the more you add hacks like arcade games, or reward shop as here the mots people are addicted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom