Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How do you justify yourselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alia

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is an unpleasant name for cybersquatter in Taiwan, the cyber cockroach, by the kind of insect they have chosen for the name, anybody can tell what it is all about. As far as I know, cybersquattering is only welcome in China, a backward society where the government needs such business to help boosting their Internet activities in a way so it can claim to the world that the country is not so backward. And ironically one domain guy I know refuses to own any .cn's simply because he detests the country.

It's not that I have a problem with what I'm doing, I got my domains the way anybody else could, it's legal and fair. Maybe some are more savvy than the others, but they have invested time and money for it. The only thing bothering me is that most good names are for sale at the moment, and existing websites are under names like networksolutions.com rather than ns.com. I guess when this business gets too big and too smart, it somehow hurts the so called public "IP rights".

I found that most members here are more decent and brilliant than I had expected, just curious, how do you justify this business? Does your mother know what you've been doing?

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I buy or register a LOT of names for my own websites. I ended up reselling domains almost by accident when I received inquiries about a couple of my names.

I see nothing wrong with reselling domain names. I am not a fan of those who extort money from someone whose domain name was "accidently" deleted or squat on a trade marked name.

John

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I used to do corporate training, I would have everyone give short intros about themselves on the first day, and with mine I would throw in "buy and sell domain names" in my list of activities. I got a variety of responses to that, but my favorite was when one guy said, "I thought they passed a law to stop people like you." So, of course, I explained that that's only for registering names that rightfully belong to other people and not common words, etc.

A lot of people (in classes or as my friends) never really understood, but if I took a half a minute to name a couple of the domains I own (or owned at the time) they'd catch on that other people would be willing to pay to get them. For the ones who still couldn't figure it out and were curious, I dropped some of my sales figures. Those justify themselves.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Trading is part of modern life.

Should you buy antiques at auction to sell in a shop at a higher price?

Should you buy a holiday home and deprive someone else of somewhere to live?

Should you buy land to stop a housing development next door to your home?

Should a government charge a tax on road users, and then charge non-road users to drain water from the roads? (This is done by the UK government).

A domain name trader provides a ready made pool for Web site owners, it is no different from the preregistration of limited liability companies which has been done for longer than the Internet has existed.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There has also been a long-time trade in 800 ( type ) phone numbers that goes largely unnoticed. If someone has an 800 number that you need, surely 'something' can be arranged.

How can a jeweler charge $5,000.00 ( and way up ) for a diamond? A piece of carbon that was found in the dirt?

We know how to register good domain names faster than most people on the planet. Is it wrong to be faster or better?

quack :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom