Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

how do you know for sure if a domain gets traffic???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have any cpanel account, you can create an addon domain to your current site; if not, just create a new site; Point the dns to your hosting and after a day or two, use awstat to check stat. It will tell you where the traffic comes from and when and where they are from. Very useful tool.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you don't own the domain, you can use dnscoop.com to check if it has any PR alexa ranking and backlinks. These are the basic proofs that the domian has traffic (real or fake). You can also use pagerank.net to check google positions for different keywords.

There are a lot more you can do. So many tools out there, you will soon discover them all and find the way which you think will work the best for you.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am using DRT to research some domains but was wondering is there a formula or a way to know for sure that a domain is getting traffic?

only way to know for sure, is if you own it.

overture score is currently the best predictor, but not guaranteed.

experience with keywords will increase your rate of success

ClickEarn

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ask the owner to put a high end traffic counter on the site :)

melmunch

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Overture
Compete
Quantcast
Statbrain
Keyword Discovery
Wordtracker
Google Trends
Google Suggest
Yahoo Suggest

All of these can give some idea of what to expect, and you can usually get a sense of what metrics work best with various industries. However, there is absolutely no way to know with any degree of certainty, what a site that you don't own gets in traffic.

domainer111

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Overture with the extension i.e. domainname.com rather than domain name.

You have to watch out though for developed sites around the phrase. These could skew the Overture results. You could think its pure generic type-ins but its not.

Example. Cheap-Sheets.com is a massive developed web site but I dont know it. I am evaluating domain cheapsheets.com. I look at Overture and see skewed results. The more you workwith it the more you will learn i.e. you have to make a few mistakes.

There is an Overture database at www.digitalpoint.com as Overture itself is working intermittently at the moment.

====

If your looking at a domain name to buy which is parked then there are good stats available. Make sure to ask for these. If you dont get them you have to ask why. If your looking for generic type-ins check the history of the domain on www.archive.org. Was it a massive developed site with links? Do you want this traffic, can you use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom