Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How do you price a Domain Name that Could be Worth Millions in the Future But Nothing today?

Hibye

Level 2
Reaction score
My biggest question on selling Domains is how do you price a Domain Name that means nothing at present but could be worth millions in the future? My biggest fear is selling a domain name for say $400 & finding out 5 years from now that domain name is worth millions due to technical innovation or the changing environment.
For $12.13 I just registered the domain name SyntheticCoffee.com. Yes its probably worth nothing today but if someone offered you $10,000 or so for it would you sell it at that price today when it could be worth a few million in the next 5-10 years? I should say I'm not desperate for $10,000. I welcome your input.

Domain Summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

if you got an offer of $10K for a domain that you just registered for $12, you'd be the biggest fool for not taking the money.

you never know the future or if you will be around to see tomorrow.

and what kind of idiot would drink synthetic coffee?

imo...

namegulf

NameGulf.com Domain Marketplace
Reaction score
May be this will help:

Trader: Live in the moment, set a BIN when sale happens take it and move on the next

Investor: Live in the future, set a Make Offer listing and continuously renew until you get a offer that meets your higher expectations (Make sure you have a high quality domain that exceeds market expectations)

Hibye

Level 2
Reaction score
It's probably my ego but let's say hypothetically when the internet first started, I had the domain Cars.com & someone offered me $10,000 at the time & I took it. Sorry I would feel like a chump for the rest of my life years later especially if that $10,000 wouldn't significantly make a difference in my lifestyle.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's probably my ego but let's say hypothetically when the internet first started,
Hi

$10K back in the early 1990's could buy a few hundred other premium .com domains.
names like "crypto.com or nft.com or cannabis.com or even bitcoin.com, all of which could be just as or more valuable than cars.com is now.

hypothetically speaking...

imo...

centauratlas

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It depends on the name of course. I registered a bunch of names in 1993 and 1994 and just sold one last year that I’d turned down a lot of offers on.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom