Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How do you select domains for parking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamboo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some people claim to make good money from domain parking.
What are their criteria for picking domains for parking?

Does it suffice, if the keyword phrase used for the domain shows decent search volumes on Google, and is commercially oriented?

What other conditions should be considered for parking purposes?

How about long-tail domains consisting of 3-4 words? Are they good, if their keyword combinations show more then 2000 Google exact searches monthly?

Should I check the search volume of normal phrases like "good blue widgets", or merged phrases like "goodbluewidgets"?
What is the decent minimum search volume for normal and merged keyword phrases?

Must these domains be grammatically correct, or is that not so important for parked domains?

What picking tactics proved to be successful for you, experienced domainers?

Sorry, if I ask too many questions.
Thanks

Last edited:

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bamboo,

That's a lot of questions. :) It largely depends on your strategy. For example, a developer might park a few names temporarily until they are built. Others might depend on the domain receiving type it in traffic and leave it parked, hoping to earn more than their reg fee. Hope this helps in your thought process.

bamboo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bamboo,

That's a lot of questions. :) It largely depends on your strategy. For example, a developer might park a few names temporarily until they are built. Others might depend on the domain receiving type it in traffic and leave it parked, hoping to earn more than their reg fee. Hope this helps in your thought process.

Thank you Simon, I know that development is better then parking, but I am not skilled in webdesign and development, so I am trying to learn some more about picking keywords for domains to be parked profitably.

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Those who claim to earn good to great parking income almost always have

A] Owned the names for months to years before they they incrementally brought in traffic and revenue.

B] Pick up traffic/revenue names via drops or open market purchases with existing stats.

C] Picked short names with targeted keywords prone to direct type in

D] Chosen the name for a broader purpose than just parking.

If you are trying to buy fresh unregd names narrowly focused on just parking, I'd have to say, you must change your strategy. But If you want to gamble and feel fine doing it, then go with a set amount and analyze if your method works.

In domaining, there is no one method. You have to experiment and take a few risks and by my standards, take a lot of risks. You never know, your research may pay off and you will have a gem in your hands.

NOTE : I forgot about the typos. But that's another ball game.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some people claim to make good money from domain parking.
What are their criteria for picking domains for parking?

Does it suffice, if the keyword phrase used for the domain shows decent search volumes on Google, and is commercially oriented?

What other conditions should be considered for parking purposes?

How about long-tail domains consisting of 3-4 words? Are they good, if their keyword combinations show more then 2000 Google exact searches monthly?

Should I check the search volume of normal phrases like "good blue widgets", or merged phrases like "goodbluewidgets"?
What is the decent minimum search volume for normal and merged keyword phrases?

Must these domains be grammatically correct, or is that not so important for parked domains?

Thanks

all good questions, that have been answered before or the answers can be found in sales threads if you read between the lines....

Those who claim to earn good to great parking income almost always have

A] Owned the names for months to years before they they incrementally brought in traffic and revenue.

B] Pick up traffic/revenue names via drops or open market purchases with existing stats.

C] Picked short names with targeted keywords prone to direct type in

D] Chosen the name for a broader purpose than just parking.

If you are trying to buy fresh unregd names narrowly focused on just parking, I'd have to say, you must change your strategy. But If you want to gamble and feel fine doing it, then go with a set amount and analyze if your method works.

In domaining, there is no one method. You have to experiment and take a few risks and by my standards, take a lot of risks. You never know, your research may pay off and you will have a gem in your hands.

NOTE : I forgot about the typos. But that's another ball game.

that bout sums it up

and yeah....typos are in another realm

:)

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
just read a lot of old threads. I'd say though - if you're getting into this based on making income with parking, you're a little late to the party. Parking revenue is down for names with existing traffic and most names iwth good consistent traffic are picked up and swooped up before you blink.

steveto

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just started learning about 2 years ago and still have A LOT to learn about parking and how to go about it. Here is what I picked up.

When registering new names...it's a hit and miss really. Nothing is 100%. Keep up to date with the news and trends..I mean really up to date..it's a science and you have to think long term too. New reg's are VERY rarely money makers in the first couple years. Usually you have to sit on them. There is a slight chance someone may offer you money to buy it.

If you want to make money now from parking you will have to do one of two things.

1. Register a name or get a dropped domain and develop it into a site, but then you have to do SEO, write content etc etc. That takes time. I can't design for crap either, so I pay people to do it for me. I can refer you to people that can do this and set you up with a site, but you are responsible for content, but you can outsource that as well. Unique designs always get conversions better for parked sites.

2. By far the easiest way is to purchase already established parked sites that are making money, but you have to take into account how much it costs to aquire the domain, how much the domain registration is per year and overall revenue. Obviously the quicker you can recoup your revenue the better. I find that ROI is way better on really good domains. If you buy domains making a few dollars per month, they tend to have longer ROI..I guess people dont want to let them go as easily...though, you can get domains making a lot more for comparatively less (relatively speaking). Obviously it will cost you a few thousand, but you get your return faster as they tend to sell for a better price. At least this is what I have noticed. Someone here might say this is totally wrong, but I honestly see it this way.

If you want a sure bet, you will have to spend money. If you want to be cheap and try your luck...well, it's just that "luck".

Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom