Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How do you "Test" a domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperNova

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have seen this term used numerous times on the boards by buyers and sellers. How do test a domain before buying? How is this done?

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it can be done with Godaddy. You have a 5 day grace period to test traffic. If not happy just cancel the domain and get a refund.

SuperNova

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I am referring to is when you are interested in buying a name that is already registered to another person and you want to verify traffic, stats, etc... before buying. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=243697

If you click on the link and then read the 2nd post you will see an example of a seller stating that a potential buyer is "testing" the domain.

Vorty

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Park it with your own DNS and analize the stats/traffic.

garfield1985

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think you have 5day grace period with Godaddy. Godaddy is in fact strongly against testing domains...

1john2004

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it can be done with Godaddy. You have a 5 day grace period to test traffic. If not happy just cancel the domain and get a refund.
YOU CAN NOT test domains with godaddy. You can do it with moniker.

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, YOU CAN test with GoDaddy.

When done with the domain, simply cancel the domain and then reply to the cancellation e-mail requesting a refund - and within a couple of days, you'll be fully refunded.

Better than Moniker - they charge $0.25 per "domain taste" (it's free with GoDaddy).

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

When done with the domain, simply cancel the domain and then reply to the cancellation e-mail requesting a refund - and within a couple of days, you'll be fully refunded.

Better than Moniker - they charge $0.25 per "domain taste" (it's free with GoDaddy).

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

garfield1985

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why did you post three same replies? Hm, i just checked their webpages and they specifically said that they don't give one's money back...anyways, maybe tristanperry is right....should check it...

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why did you post three same replies? Hm, i just checked their webpages and they specifically said that they don't give one's money back...anyways, maybe tristanperry is right....should check it...
I didn't - browser/server error (I didn't actively post three times).

Anywhoo, GoDaddy have refunded me numerous times per request (I know they say they won't, though :))

fpforum

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
also, you can test with DynaDot. They do not refund paypal/moneybookers/credit card but will give you credits so the next domain you buy you just pay for with your credits :)

1john2004

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

It seems that only you CAN but nobody else.:)
While cancelling the domain you must agreed that no refunds will be given.

patroiz

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually GoDaddy gives a full refund, they also give a refund to your PayPal account, but you have to contact them after you deleted the name.

Refund From GoDaddy.com, Inc. Aug. 19, 2007 Completed Details $12.38 USD $0.00 USD
Payment To GoDaddy.com, Inc. Aug. 16, 2007 Refunded Details -$12.38 USD $0.00 USD

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Folks we are off the point of the OP that was clarified in a latter post (though I originally misunderstood it as well). As Vorty says you ask the domain owner to redirect the domain to your servers for a few days. You will then get to see the traffic coming to the domain and analyse it as to numbers, geographic origin, search terms/words used, etc..

Hope this helps.

wael

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People, read Supernova's follow up post and see the link. He's not asking about "Tasting"!

Supernova, it's like Vorty said. The seller changed the DNS settings to the buyer's parking service and allowed the buyer to park the domain in his own account for a few days to see what sort of traffic and revenue it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom