Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How exactly does Escrow.com work? In Layman's terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaZZeR.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a website that I have had an offer on. It's a mid six figure sale. The buyer wants to use escrow.com. He wants me to transfer everything to him and then escrow.com will send me the money. What is to prevent him from saying that he never received the site, even though he did? He would have my site and my money and I would have to take him to court and he could still just stiff me anyway. Any advice would be helpful.

Domain Days 2024

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ZaZZeR.com said:
What is to prevent him from saying that he never received the site, even though he did?

Short answer - nothing.

I would use Moniker's Escrow service, they take control of both the money AND the domain so that this type of scam can't happen.

Escrow.com is far from safe...the seller could always change the WHOIS info and claim he transfered the site to the buyer, even if he did no such thing.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What if domain is registered else where?
Can moniker still do escrow effectively?
I mean, taking control of money and the domain?

GT Web said:
Short answer - nothing.

I would use Moniker's Escrow service, they take control of both the money AND the domain so that this type of scam can't happen.

Escrow.com is far from safe...the buyer could always change the WHOIS info and claim he transfered the site to the buyer, even if he did no such thing.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
copper said:
What if domain is registered else where?
Can moniker still do escrow effectively?
I mean, taking control of money and the domain?
I use moniker for escrow transactions. Since they are a registrar they can ensure a better transfer of a domain name. They setup a seperate account so it doesn't matter where the domain is currently registered. It is great for domainers but if you go to the average joe they might not be familiar with what Moniker is and might not trust it. Direct them to ICANN's site and show that they are ICANN accredited.

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The name is transfered to their site (Moniker.com). This is just the name, they do not really deal with the site content stuff. You would have to figure out a way to get that. But they are the best escrow service out there imho that help avoid the scams.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ZaZZeR.com said:
I have a website that I have had an offer on. It's a mid six figure sale. The buyer wants to use escrow.com. He wants me to transfer everything to him and then escrow.com will send me the money. What is to prevent him from saying that he never received the site, even though he did? He would have my site and my money and I would have to take him to court and he could still just stiff me anyway. Any advice would be helpful.

They wouldnt have your money. If they reject the domain transfer, they would be required to transfer the domain back to you. I realise they can keep all the site files, but having complete control of the domain is the most important thing as you maintain control of the sites traffic.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ZaZZeR.com said:

You have an offer of around half a million dollars and you are asking questions here about how to complete the transaction?

ZaZZeR.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Joe Honan said:
You have an offer of around half a million dollars and you are asking questions here about how to complete the transaction?

Ummmm, yes. Is that really so odd? I have never had an offer that high and want to make sure that everything goes smoothly. I have never had a problem before, but with that dollar amount, I just want to be 100% sure that I don't get ripped off.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ZaZZeR.com said:
but with that dollar amount, I just want to be 100% sure that I don't get ripped off.

It sounds like a trust issue for both of you.

Why not meet the buyer in person? Make him give you cash, $USD.
Then physically transfer the domain and or files to him while sitting in front of the same computer. (maybe at a strip club?)
Tell him to fly you out on his personal jet.

ZaZZeR.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BobDiGiTaL said:
It sounds like a trust issue for both of you.

Why not meet the buyer in person? Make him give you cash, $USD.
Then physically transfer the domain and or files to him while sitting in front of the same computer. (maybe at a strip club?)
Tell him to fly you out on his personal jet.

LOL, love the jet idea. However, I just got an email from him stating "My loan didn't go through so I won't be able to buy it now. Sorry."

Guess it doesn't matter now, huh? Now I'm so glad I posted this thread. I think he was a scammer and I would have lost a $175k/year income.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom