Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How Important is it to purchase privacy protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVD26

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my very first post here
I'm also a TOTAL newbie in terms of this line of work or hobbying, whichever term you prefer to use.
I just purchased my first ever domain name a couple of days ago and am already thinking about are going to be the next ones to get.
I may or may not develop my first domain name into an actual website, not sure yet.
Anyways, I'm wondering how important it is to purchase privacy protection on these names.
I used moniker.com and purchased the privacy protection for the extra $4 just to be sure.
Is that really necessary in the future?
Also, how can I find out the approximate value of my domain name right now?
Thanks to everyone in advance :)

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All depends on what would be your reasons for wanting privacy protection? I would say most people don't purchase it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
privacy protection is an add on service. In other words, your registrar is making the money.

You have to determine what exactly you want private. If you think you might be doing this for a while, consider getting a PO Box as you address. Get or start a company name for the name box, use a phone number that is not your home, and first name list DOMAIN FOR SALE so that is the first thing that shows up in a WHOIS search...if that is your intent.

Look at a WHOIS data and discover what it is you do not want the public to know. You will need an active legit email for communication and offers, etc.

In other words, make yourself private, but accessible should someone need to contact you, without having to "pay" to be private.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Privacy protection also reduces spam. I only use it on names that are not for sale.

RVD26 said:
how can I find out the approximate value of my domain name right now?
You can post it in the appraisal section, that's a hit or miss though. Don't pay for appraisals.

RVD26

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
privacy protection is an add on service. In other words, your registrar is making the money.

You have to determine what exactly you want private. If you think you might be doing this for a while, consider getting a PO Box as you address. Get or start a company name for the name box, use a phone number that is not your home, and first name list DOMAIN FOR SALE so that is the first thing that shows up in a WHOIS search...if that is your intent.

Look at a WHOIS data and discover what it is you do not want the public to know. You will need an active legit email for communication and offers, etc.

In other words, make yourself private, but accessible should someone need to contact you, without having to "pay" to be private.

Thanks
How do I look at a WHOIS data?
I just don't want a bunch of strangers to know my home address or to be calling my number out of the blue.
I also don't want a bunch of spam.
Have any of y'all had any experience with a bunch of non-potential buyers contacting you out of nowhere or getting a bunch of spam?

roseau

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've never had anyone call me out of the blue in ten years of owning domains BUT the junk mail is horrendous. I would have used a different email address in hindsight rather than my day to day business email.

I should have set up a permanent email for domain regs only.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you want people to BUY your domain name from you privacy protection is gay.

MelodyAnn

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks
How do I look at a WHOIS data?
I just don't want a bunch of strangers to know my home address or to be calling my number out of the blue.
I also don't want a bunch of spam.
Have any of y'all had any experience with a bunch of non-potential buyers contacting you out of nowhere or getting a bunch of spam?

I have never had anyone call me, I also don't get any domain name SPAM mail from WHOIS. The only SPAM I get comes from emails that are posted on websites, which is unavoidable if you are the contact for the website. I have a separate email addy for domain registrations, which gets next to no SPAM. But then, it's on AOL, maybe they filter a lot.

Anyhow, WHOIS looks can be found most anywhere, but there is a new site with free domain and DNS tool, including a WHOIS lookup, here: http://www.mynameserver.com

DNA

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For you, I would say you don't need any privacy protection as of now. Believe me. So, don't waste money. I have never received any spams etc.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have about 600 domains, and don't use privacy protection. The upshot is that I've saved myself about two and a half grand. The downside is that when I check my email on a Monday morning, I can have upwards of 600 spam emails, frequently even the same ones a dozen or so times each!

Basically it comes down to whether you'd rather spend an extra $4 on evry domain you purchase, or spend 20 mins every morning deleting spam ...the choice is yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom