Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just received an email from someone asking how they can buy a name I just bought in an expired auction.

Let's say the name was ABcorp.com - (it isn't 'AB') and the persons email address is [email protected] - the name is at Parked - how can they be mailing me from my domain?

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they can't, they probably haven't realised the dns has been changed

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just received an email from someone asking how they can buy a name I just bought in an expired auction.

Let's say the name was ABcorp.com - (it isn't 'AB') and the persons email address is [email protected] - the name is at Parked - how can they be mailing me from my domain?

did you tried to answer to that email and see what you get? see if the email you sent get delivered or not.

they can't, they probably haven't realised the dns has been changed

why not? It's possible to send an email putting on the sender field whatewer address you want.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I guess the sender just filled her 'old' email address in on the Parked contact box.

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does it seem that the domain may have been lost accidentally by ABcorp?

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One school of thought would say: They lost it, finders keepers, and they should have taken better care to make sure they didn't drop their domain. That school of thought has some support. http://www.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/96320.htm (However, this case had Cabell on the panel, and I find her to be very un-principled).

The other school of thought is that it isn't abandoned property if the owner didn't intend to abandon it. That has some support too.

"While “finders, keepers-losers, weepers” is a quaint and classic saying it is also an oversimplification of the underlying law. Actually the finder takes as to all the world except the true owner, or the prior peaceable possessor. http://www.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/1124467.htm. However, this decision was by a single-member panel.

So, it seems that on the UDRP front, the authority is split. Thus, you don't have UDRP guidance.

If you think they may have dropped it by accident -- what do you think is the right thing to do?

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One school of thought would say: They lost it, finders keepers, and they should have taken better care to make sure they didn't drop their domain. That school of thought has some support. http://www.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/96320.htm (However, this case had Cabell on the panel, and I find her to be very un-principled).

The other school of thought is that it isn't abandoned property if the owner didn't intend to abandon it. That has some support too.

"While “finders, keepers-losers, weepers” is a quaint and classic saying it is also an oversimplification of the underlying law. Actually the finder takes as to all the world except the true owner, or the prior peaceable possessor. http://www.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/1124467.htm. However, this decision was by a single-member panel.

So, it seems that on the UDRP front, the authority is split. Thus, you don't have UDRP guidance.

If you think they may have dropped it by accident -- what do you think is the right thing to do?

Er, thanks for that Marco, but I was asking a technical question about how an email came from a domain that I own, and on which the dns has been changed. Is this an answer to someone elses question perhaps?

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I thought you already figured out the tech question, and given that this was in the legal forum, you were looking for a legal answer.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Email headers are easily forged. One can easily put any email address, etc in as the sender.

In short, there is no simple answer to your question without seeing the raw email headers; most email clients hide that info by default.

Ron

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Email headers are easily forged. One can easily put any email address, etc in as the sender.

In short, there is no simple answer to your question without seeing the raw email headers; most email clients hide that info by default.

Ron

Correct. You also could setup a mail server very easily and give it any fqdn you wanted, even though it will fail reverse dns lookups.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And like you said they may have put in the email address in the sedo contact box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom