Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How long does DNS update usually take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxf

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just finished my website and everything needed for it, and I regged the domain last night. About how long does it take for a domain to become active? I guess it varies, but what's the average time? The forums and a few other things won't function unless the domain name is functional. Thanks!

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Usually, for me its fast. 24 hours at most. But Im not sure if newly regged names take longer.

maxf

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My name name is newly regged.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I reg'd one at last night @ eNOM and it resolved about 14 hours later

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It varies greatly from an hour or so to as long as 3-4 days. I've found com/net will take longer initially than info/biz since Verisign only updates the registry twice a day. Supposedly, they are working on increasing that. .Info seems to update within a few minutes.

the time it takes to resolve will also vary with different end users. Partly due to the settings in each company or ISP router as to how often they update their database and how busy they may be. I've seen a difference in propagation between home and office computer of as much as a full day using different ISPs.

BTW, I have a hosting account with a number of domains parked. If I need to publish quickly before propagation, I can set up the parked domain that is already using the same DNS servers to resolve and can access the new host account instantly using the parked domain, and reparking it on the new host account. This allows me to publish to the host before the new name actually resolves, even using shared IP's. When complete, I can move the parked domain back to its normal account and access the website via the new domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom