Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

How Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHDomains

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently sold a couple of domains through Sedo. Sedo has received payment for both and say they can begin the technical transfer.

How long does this usually take? It's been several days.

Domain summit 2024

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on how fast the buyer is.
When the transfer has been made they send the money in 1-3 days.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If these are .com or .net they don't need to contact you but they always do.
How many days are these paid?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Too long. Try messaging them.

SedoCoUk

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello from Sedo,

Some transfers can take 32 minutes - others several weeks.
It all depends on the registrars involved, if the domain has been locked and how fast the parties respond to instructional mails.
Basically - transfers go like this:
1. Sale agreed
2. Invoice generated and sent to buyer
3. Await payment to Sedo escrow account
4. Buyer creates account at seller's registrar
5. Buyer does a pull on the domain
6. Seller approves this
7. We release payment.

That's pretty much it - however some transfers (.co.uk domains, some registrars, 30 dady lock etc.) require longer.
I hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Nora Cotter
Key Account Manager

SEDO.COM :: Buy and Sell Domain Names and Websites

tel +49 (221)-420-758-287 :: fax +49 (212)-202-3951
email: nora@sedo.com :: url: www.sedo.com

_______________________ :: make a name for yourself.

HHDomains

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just curious Nora, why doesn't Sedo let the seller handle the domain transfer after Sedo receives payment?
I've had domains sales through Escrow.com and as soon as they receive the money they contact the seller with the transfer info and the Seller transfers/pushes the domain to the buyer. After that the funds are released.

Quick and easy.

I'm not complaining and I'm in no particular rush. It just seems more efficient that way.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would rather let Sedo handle everything. That way they are the neutral party and no one can complain the other party ripped them off. Plus let Sedo do the work they are getting paid for while you think about what you are going to spend the cash on. :)

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In my case, Sedo got the payment from the buyer almost 2 weeks ago. It was for a .com name. And, by the way, Sedo doesn't notify you about this. You have to log into your account to find out.

Then, after many attempts to find out from Sedo WHERE to transfer the name, (it came down to 1 of 3 places, according to Sedo), they finally settled on their account at GoDaddy. So 2 minutes after I initiated the transfer there, I got an email from Sedo stating that I should transfer to the buyer directly.

At this point we're still sorting things out. I'm not too happy. I doubt if the buyer's happy. And Sedo? Well, they're still working on it.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've read many complaints about Sedo delaying payments over the past year or so - the main reason I avoid using them.

On a related topic, it's possible Sedo is profiting from the interest on escrow funds - a big no no ... here in the U.S., such practices is typically illegal; Sedo may also be breaking other U.S. laws - Sedo is still small and thus under the radar so to speak in regards to regulators, but they may want to evaluate their whole business before expanding anymore - or cease doing business in the U.S.

Anyways, escrow.com is fast - and just importantly, they keep both parties updated along the way and keeps things moving ... I use escrow.com for most transactions these days - it just works :)

Ron

SedoCoUk

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello from Sedo,

I can categorically state that we do not profit from the interest on escrow funds.
Our escrow account is a non-interest bearing German account.

Valuenames' statement is nothing more than a rumor based on pure conjecture: we do not engage in illegal business practices - in the US or elsewhere.

Unfortunately, valuenames appears to be conjecturing for the purpose of spreading rumors. The claims contained in his post are untrue and entirely unsubstantiated.

Furthermore, we are disappointed that a forum intended to facilitate an exchange of information between Sedo customers and Sedo representatives should be abused in this way to propogate the spurious claims of an unauthenticated source.

Otherwise, we continue to appreciate the valued support of our loyal customers and DNForum members.

Kind regards,

Nora Cotter
Key Accounts Manager

SEDO.COM :: Buy and Sell Domain Names and Websites
tel +49 (0)221 420 758 287 :: fax +49 (212)-202-3951
email: nora@sedo.co.uk :: url: www.sedo.co.uk

_______________________ :: make a name for yourself.

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nora,

Still waiting to hear from Sedo re. the selling of my name. So far, per Sedo instructions, I've twice attempted to push the name into Sedo's GoDaddy account.
The first time Sedo said they never received the attempt, although GoDaddy claims otherwise.

So early yesterday I tried again. So far, haven't heard anything from Sedo.

It's been 2 weeks since Sedo states they've received payment from the buyer. Shouldn't that be enough time to get the deal done?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Today Sedo got the money from my buyer. Told me to push the name into their enom account. I pushed the name and they confirmed. Only took a few minutes.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
...I can categorically state that we do not profit from the interest on escrow funds. Our escrow account is a non-interest bearing German account.

Thank you for the prompt reply. With that said, if you don't mind me asking, what bank are these funds held in?

And is Sedo a licensed escrow agent? May not be required, but may be depending on jurisdiction.

Jusk asking questions that any sensible purchaser/seller should be asking, especially folks doing large transactions.

And to be clear, I've done transactions upwards of 6-figures $USD and I've often asked for such information - I've even on occasion requested faxes direct from the respective bank holding the escrow funds for some transactions; large escrows should be held separately in sub-accounts.

SedoCoUk said:
Valuenames' statement is nothing more than a rumor based on pure conjecture: we do not engage in illegal business practices - in the US or elsewhere.

Unfortunately, valuenames appears to be conjecturing for the purpose of spreading rumors. The claims contained in his post are untrue and entirely unsubstantiated.

Unsubstantiated? If so, then why is there this thread - and do a search here and one will find some others, and search Google and one is likely to find a few more. Sedo is perceived by some as being slow when it comes to money, in particular releasing sales proceeds to sellers ... just stating what others have reported as experiencing with Sedo.

Admittedly, this could all be a misunderstanding, but from your response, as a representative of Sedo, I'm not sure what to believe ... based on what you wrote, you seem to be more upset at me and DNF, as opposed to addressing the issue at hand.

SedoCoUk said:
Furthermore, we are disappointed that a forum intended to facilitate an exchange of information between Sedo customers and Sedo representatives should be abused in this way to propogate the spurious claims of an unauthenticated source.

Wow, this could get interesting ... with a *public feedback forum*, one must accept there will be both positive and negative things said - that's what feedback is all about ... any business with sense will want to know how it's doing and make improvements/changes as necessary; just importantly, how a business handles feedback, in particular that of a neutral / negative nature, alone indicates a lot about how a business operates. A feedback forum with only positive items isn't of much use when it comes to customer service ... surely Sedo cares about how its customers, and the public at-large perceive the company...

To be fair, perhaps it's the culture difference that's confusing things, but from your response alone, I'd be hessistant to do business with Sedo at this time without more information.

I sincerely welcome your reply.

Ron

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nora,

Still waiting to hear from Sedo regarding my re-sending the transfer request (pushing my name to Sedo's GoDaddy account). I've emailed Dominik twice but still haven't heard from him either.

It's been over 24 hours and, normally, Sedo should have received the email authorization within 5 minutes of me having re-sent it.

Can you tell me what's going on?

Tom

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In one case where I sold domain within few days of registration (and registrar would not let go the name before 60 days) I just sent username/password to sedo who then released my payment. Normally wire transfer takes upto 10 days after domain transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators