Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How many entrepreneurs can there be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taboo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it me or does it seem to be a fast growing trend of so called Internet masterminds who can somehow create a myopia of their claim to fame as the Internet? Like everyday Bobby Bologna is sitting poolside because he bought Robert Kiyosaki's greatest money making jargon hits.

I'm cool, I try to stay connected. So I get onto myspace to see what all the hubbabaloo is about, and I browse to the "Million Dolla Ballaz" group. To my amazement George Lucas himself could not have crafted a more diverse cast of Internet d-listers. I even think Tyrone Biggums gave an insightful look into monetizing off 90% Legal Krypto Budz by simply placing "contextual-adz on madd web pagez."

Now, if I am a young person, I would definitely steal Tyrone's idea, and get on the sweet train of money making success! But guess what!? If you haven't been online since 1998 you're cut from the team! The ship has sailed, you're all going to be eaten up by giant a cookie monster. If this was a job you would not only be fired, but banned from all future cookouts and softball games!

So now the web is left with this infinite supply of bums, or as they like to be called, entrepreneurs. I guess my real point is, I'm glad Paris and Nicole broke up, they made far too many people believe in themselves.

:party:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Entrepreneur means you find a unique way to do it yourself. Want to be an entrepreneur? Then stop following others and get to work.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
keep sniffing that stuff and it's going to kill you :-D

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
taboo said:
Is it me or does it seem to be a fast growing trend of so called Internet masterminds who can somehow create a myopia of their claim to fame as the Internet? Like everyday Bobby Bologna is sitting poolside because he bought Robert Kiyosaki's greatest money making jargon hits.

I'm cool, I try to stay connected. So I get onto myspace to see what all the hubbabaloo is about, and I browse to the "Million Dolla Ballaz" group. To my amazement George Lucas himself could not have crafted a more diverse cast of Internet d-listers. I even think Tyrone Biggums gave an insightful look into monetizing off 90% Legal Krypto Budz by simply placing "contextual-adz on madd web pagez."

Now, if I am a young person, I would definitely steal Tyrone's idea, and get on the sweet train of money making success! But guess what!? If you haven't been online since 1998 you're cut from the team! The ship has sailed, you're all going to be eaten up by giant a cookie monster. If this was a job you would not only be fired, but banned from all future cookouts and softball games!

So now the web is left with this infinite supply of bums, or as they like to be called, entrepreneurs. I guess my real point is, I'm glad Paris and Nicole broke up, they made far too many people believe in themselves.

:party:

Nifty, but the creative writing forum was two doors down on your left.

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok now for the serious reply.
There are a lot of so called "experts" (gurus) out there that have only made their money by being able to convince people to give them money because they are self proclaimed "experts". This is esecially evident in the ebook and online marketing world where almost every author is some kind of genius yet can't produce something more reputable in quality than a 500word ebook stuffed with affiliate links and content they have found through google or some forums. Of course they are geniuses to some extent because obviously some poor SOB is giong to shell out full retail for that garbage before someone buys the resell rights and sells the ebook for $5 along with a thousand other ebooks on ebay. So don't believe the hype.

There is plenty of room in every industry for competition, yes there are tips and techniques and once a certain section gets saturated you will face very stiff competition if you have no reputation. This is the case with the kind of people with a glint in their eyes about becoming millionaires by drop shipping ebay auctions because they read it in an ebook, the problem is a lot of other people are following this very same strategy and it is to a limited audience. If for example these people would diversify and do a dropshipping resource site or an online store and dropship through there they might have a little more success (yes I know these are close to being over saturated as well but it's just an example of moving out of where the most newbs are).

Take domain names as another example, everyone has the chance to flip through the drop lists and find something, I have seen ok to good names available for reg days after drops so they still slip through some nets. The big ones you might miss because whoever wants it has drop services and servers waiting for the thing to drop and you might not be able to beat them. You won't get big overnight unless you hit it lucky but with a little work you can build it up and have it self sustaining and growing with a little outlay.

The adsense and other methods can work but a lot of times you need to ask yourself "how many times do I click on the ads because I am fooled, how many because they look interesting, and how many because I want to support the site?" then take into account the audience of your website. Are you giving info to people new to the Internet? If so you might have good CTR, is it to webmasters? Well they are hardly going to waste their time clicking on ads when they know what they are. So you then go for sponsorship of some sort selling CPM or time based solutions, which adds to your need to oversee these options and you need to have good traffic for many advertisers to be interested. Of course if you have the traffic and audience it is much easier but starting out you do not have the audience.

It's still possible to make it in a lot of arenas while in others it is more difficult. As an example a new Webhosting or domain name forum will have stiff competition from the established ones but might get in a few newish users who are unaware of alternatives and will most definitely attract all the spammers who are just there to try and get people in as $8.95 enom resellers or to sell over inflated junk to.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dude, whatever your smoking pass it around.

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
Dude, whatever your smoking pass it around.

I tried to cover all the possible bases they mentioned :) It started off going on about people who have made money online by supposedly following some books. Then switched to how on some forums they were talking about making money and how easy it is, then something about how if it's so easy why isn't everyone doing it. Followed by if you weren't in on the ground level when it started you won't make any money. Finally the original poster admitted to watching some reality tv show which i'm not sure has much relevance to the rest of the post.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's five minutes of my life I'll never get back.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MediaHound said:
That's five minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Haha ... add my 5 minutes ... something wrong here.

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so we have 10 minutes, anyone for some mental anguish claims? :-D

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with OP. While I am fairly newer to the whole domain game. I go where the money is. I been self-employed since I was 24. That's 10 years now without a boss. I have owned 5 retail establishments, started a print magazine, and dabbled in other business as well. Currently I stay at home doing web work. When I say web work I mean a variety of things. I can make sites, sell them, write scripts, broker deals, SEO, or whatever. I make good money currently as I always have. I consider myself an entrepenuer because I can always generate money on my own. On a side note...I bought my first domain in 97. :) and I still have it too...along with about 200 others now.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. On the Web, there is often a vast gulf between "presenting yourself as an expert" and "being an expert" and in my not so humble opinion the latter are usually too busy getting on with what they know works to write a real ebook about it i.e. a primer to copy their own success. Why would they give away their expertise for a few thousands or tens of thousands of dollars at best when they can be making much more by USING it?

The secret is all the so-called experts have lucrative affiliate programs (generally 30-50% revenue share) so it's to their mutual advantage to promote each other incestuously all the time. ("Hey, if the gullible folks visiting my site aren't swayed by my sales pitch, at least I might be able to make 50% of what Bob's gonna make off them by chucking them his way...")

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Guys get over it.....the prose was a matter of indecisive high, smoking, and lax, concentration.....I can't believe the response to an obvious tricked out high episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom