Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How much a lawyer would charge for WIPO defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to have an idea of how much a laywer charges to prepare my defense for WIPO. I'm not looking for an exact price, but just an average to have an idea if it's worth defend myself versus hire a laywer to do all the job.
Thank you -

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The more important question is whether the proceeding is worth defending - i.e. whether you have a reasonable likelihood of success. If your position has no merit, then spending money on a defense is simply a waste of money.

Normally, I review a complaint, or at least discuss the apparent merits with the respondent, prior to providing a reliable estimate.

Some defenses are simpler than others. As noted in the thread about frontrunners.com, I may have to do a lot of work, or it may be a matter of simply slapping around Pedro the comatose midget to crank out a response, if the case turns on a relatively simple issue.

Because these things are fact specific, ranges of numbers are not helpful to what this particular dispute might involve. But I have gone anywhere from "SOB never paid his bill" to several thousand dollars. A significant component of that is whether to pay $2000 to WIPO in order to obtain a three member panel, which I strongly recommend for a variety of reasons, particularly if the case is something other than a simple common-fact-pattern defense.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's so freakin funny on so many different levels.

Get your mind out of the gutter, son.

It's a reference to a discussion in another thread.

DanB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you John for your reply. Actually, I was asking because I know I will need to defend one of my names at WIPO soon, and for the first time. How I know it? The other party told me that they were going to WIPO if I didn't transfer the domain, and of course I won't.
The other party is a Fortune 500, but I have among my clients some Fortune 500 too, so I'm used to deal with the big guys, but as I said it's the first time I need to defend a domain and I don't personnaly know a lawyer specialized in UDRP cases.
Anyways, I will wait to see the complaint (if they really go ahead with this) to decide what to do.
But thanks again for the information.
Dan.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The other party told me that they were going to WIPO if I didn't transfer the domain

Don't be disappointed if they don't follow through. Threats are easy.

Now would be a good time for you to review your situation to make sure you are in a defensible position.

Soofi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
John, that's defi helpful bit :)

The more important question is whether the proceeding is worth defending - i.e. whether you have a reasonable likelihood of success. If your position has no merit, then spending money on a defense is simply a waste of money.

Normally, I review a complaint, or at least discuss the apparent merits with the respondent, prior to providing a reliable estimate.

Some defenses are simpler than others. As noted in the thread about frontrunners.com, I may have to do a lot of work, or it may be a matter of simply slapping around Pedro the comatose midget to crank out a response, if the case turns on a relatively simple issue.

Because these things are fact specific, ranges of numbers are not helpful to what this particular dispute might involve. But I have gone anywhere from "SOB never paid his bill" to several thousand dollars. A significant component of that is whether to pay $2000 to WIPO in order to obtain a three member panel, which I strongly recommend for a variety of reasons, particularly if the case is something other than a simple common-fact-pattern defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom