Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How much does the 'for sale' note hurt parking clicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For those who both sell and park domains:

I'm trying to put a number on how much the "This domain is available for sale" link hurts the parking income?

I'm guessing about 20%, because it does "break" the design and makes it clear to the user that this is just a site with nothing but ads.

Has anyone else put a real number on this?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You'd have to check with a parking company for accurate data. But as a concept, I agree: huge "FOR SALE" banners would stop a visitor from clicking.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You'd have to check with a parking company for accurate data. But as a concept, I agree: huge "FOR SALE" banners would stop a visitor from clicking.

It might be a conflict of interest for them to honestly answer that... if the same company brokers domains, they don't want to discourage the 'for sale' banner because that would be a loss of income. If the parking company does NOT broker domains, the DO want to discourage For Sale links, no matter how small the impact. I figure the domain owners themselves are the only ones with real numbers. :)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I think the smaller the 'for sale' notice, the higher the CTR. I liked the Parked.com (RIP) option and even at Sedo it's performing well. Not sure about Internet Traffic parked domains.

I believe the issue with dropped performance of domains with steady traffic is that the visitors get used to seeing the same templates over and over.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like Voodoo.com 's ribbon in the corner.
It's not as intrusive.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's a non-intrusive link I doubt it has an effect on parking income. Remember most people have grown up with or gotten used to seeing ad links on search engines and web pages now, it is a normal part of the internet. With my own webpages I haven't noticed a difference in ad income with or without the 'domain for sale' link.

Also, having the 'domain for sale' link will likely lead to more domain sales, which would offset any loss in parking income.

premiumtap

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Friends, family members whom are not involved in the domain name industry have had varying opinions. However, most tell me that they do not notice the for sale sign but rather concentrate on the links to see if it's something they were directly interested in. Prevailing consensus within this thread appears to be (if it's not too intrusive, it's just fine and will not take away the added value of a possible sale) just the same as what I have learned from those close to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom