Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How much traffic with this name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdon

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am looking a possibly purchasing a "generic" domain name for a fairly large price. The owner currently has an under construction page and has now idea how much traffic the domain gets.

The domain name is a 2 word generic, and when I lookup those 2 words with wordtracker, it shows a rating of 1300, and Overture shows 40,000+ searches for the words per month.

My question is, is it wise to assume that this generic name is getting decent type in traffic if Wordtracker and Overture are showing pretty good results for the search term?

Thanks,
Brandon

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Brandon,

Welcome to the forum.

I dont think you can assume that just because the 2 words equal high numbers in overture that it gets type in traffic.

May be an idea to look at www.alexa.com and see if it has a traffic rank.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards

Dean

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Or you can get a better result by asking the current owner pointing its NameServer to yours.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You could also try typing in the name AND extension into overture & see if you get any results.

mrdon

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply's.

I asked the owner to point the NameServer to mine for a few days, but they said no. That they already have another offer and they didn't have to do that for them. I think they are not that knowledgible and are afraid that they could lose the domain by changing the DNS.

Alexa.com doesn't show any traffic, but I don't think that the site has ever been active. It's always had the default registrars "recently purchased" page

Brandon

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a seller, I've found traffic tests from a seller's view to generally be a waste of time.

The value of a domain is often much more than just the traffic it gets - development potential, rarity, preempting someone elses use, etc.

Knowledgable buyers already will have an idea of a domain name's traffic - I've personally never asked to "test" traffic yet for any domain name I've bought; sometimes I don't even care about traffic when buying - especially if purchasing to preempt use by another party.

As a seller, I've occasionally allowed some traffic tests for folks - often requiring them to pay a fee for the priviledge...from $xxx to as much as $xxx,xxx!

In short, most serious buyers of $x,xxx+ valued domains have already done their research and want to get the deal done without delays; tests.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom