Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Affiliate Programs How often do you, as a publisher, test out new programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been inundated the past few months with smaller programs wanting me to do a test of their system. I have to empathize a little with their salespeople, as it's a very tough job.

One of the lines they always give me is "What do you have to lose?" Then I explain to them when I've done these in the past with medium-sized programs, I lost:

1) money (i.e. I would have made more had I not changed a thing, and stuck with existing programs)
2) time (it takes time to read their contracts, change the websites for the test, and then change them back afterwards, or chasing down payment, if you end the test)
3) my mind (dealing with newbie companies that lack industry experience, you're often teaching them more than the other way around; it's appalling sometimes)

I thought it might be useful if publishers here give them a "roadmap" into enticing us to try their system. I told the guy who called me today that "I've been on the bleeding edge too much, I feel I need a transfusion". :p

Here's my list of things they can do:

1) More Money: Give us a good estimate of other people's REAL earnings, or provide some minimum performance guarantees. Ultimately, we want to switch for more money, that's the bottom-line. Giving us the line "we have all these quality advertisers", blah, blah, without telling us what their equilibrium price is (i.e. bids vs supply) gives me no confidence. The sales people are always targeting higher traffic sites --- that traffic might single-handedly swamp their existing demand in a category, and cause the eCPM to plunge.

2) Take on some of the risk: The new programs bear little risk during a test. They make a spread between the advertiser and publisher. The more volume for them, the better, even if it's just for a test.

3) Make it easy to sign up: Use online forms, instead of faxed documents. Make your documents clear and concise. One company had references to Active-X downloads in their legal contracts, and I tossed it in the garbage, even after they said they no longer do that stuff.

4) Pay fast: No one wants to wait net 60, or whatever, when their current program pays net 30. The new program might not even be around in 60 days.

5) Hire people that know what they're doing. I don't like dealing with people who are learning the ropes, who are selling cars one day, internet advertising the next, and air conditioners the day after that.

6) Provide good stats and previews: They should have a detailed "tour" of their interface without having to sign up. Show me it's worth it, in advance.

7) Have visible support and testimonials on webmaster forums: I think this is important. They should create some "buzz" (without spamming), that their program is worth trying, and that they'll be there to answer questions, and provide support. Word of mouth from other webmasters is very important, in my view.

I think right now, I don't plan to test anything new until Yahoo comes along with their Yahoo Publisher Network. My strategy lately has been to talk to my *existing* programs, to see if we can do better by making any changes, etc., rather than looking outward for new programs.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I generally require most people to pay me up front for the first month, based on their estimate of what I could earn and my estimate of what I am losing. Only a few have "dared" to take up my offer, but I still work with about 50% of them, some years later... so it's an effective way of building a relationship.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
I generally require most people to pay me up front for the first month, based on their estimate of what I could earn and my estimate of what I am losing. Only a few have "dared" to take up my offer, but I still work with about 50% of them, some years later... so it's an effective way of building a relationship.

Edwin:

That's the smart way to do it. It's YOUR traffic that THEY want. I've been testing a poker name of mine that gets about 100 uniques a day with a poker site for almost 2 months. They paid me each month IN ADVANCE what I was making at my previous program.

After the test is done we'll probably do a long term deal for a substantial increase, with payment paid UP FRONT quarterly. If not "I" have lost nothing.

Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom