Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

how private is private?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These privacy registration services seme to block whois inquiries but these days doesn't everbody know a guy who knows a guy....

is there any data on privacy services being breached?

Experiences?

RANGER

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As a newbie to domaining I'd be very much interested in the answer to this as well. I always thought I was safe from all prying eyes except other registrars if I had whoisguard for example.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for me

the question is, why use privacy if you're in the business of selling domains?

unless you got tm names or a domain you don't plan on selling...why be private?

imo...privacy protection is just another profit center for those registrars who charge for it

nowadays the only privacy you're gonna get is inside the bathroom :)

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my view, privacy services generally are a waste of money.

As far as privacy goes, read the terms of service - many of them will release one's information under numerous circumstances, and furthermore say they are not responsible for accidental release...

Accidental release of info is a common problem with privacy services ... ie. renewal of the privacy service fails and/or due to some other technical malfunction, one's real whois can be shown - even if only for a short time, that can be enough to make privacy worthless if the information gets cached / stored by a third party, such as DomainTools.

Ron

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Based on an incident last year I can say some whois privacy services are not too private; i.e. I received email from Moniker saying in view if the fact they received a complaint letter from an alleged trademark owner they plan to release my whois privacy information to the 3rd party (this was all based on a simple letter mailed to Moniker and not involving a wipo case or court case).

Based on an incident last year I can say some whois privacy services are not too private; i.e. I received email from Moniker saying in view if the fact they received a complaint letter from an alleged trademark owner they plan to release my whois privacy information to the 3rd party (this was all based on a simple letter mailed to Moniker and not involving a wipo case or court case).

P.S. Incredibly, the domain at issue did not even have Whois privacy on it making it even more amazing.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
imo...privacy protection is just another profit center for those registrars who charge for it

Not to mention the fact that you'll have a difficult time proving the domain name was yours if it is hi-jacked.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that you'll have a difficult time proving the domain name was yours if it is hi-jacked.

DING DING DING - That man wins a donut.

...or maybe the midget deserves it... hard to tell. ;)

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't use privacy on my domains for exactly the reasons described in biggedon's post. If you're in the internet biz, be it domaining or developing, it only makes sense to make yourself available to do business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom