Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How relevant are previous decisions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am sick and tired of companies trying to get a domain from me and saying "We refer to the WIPO decision against you in 2000" as if that 1 decision means I am therefore guilty of everything for life. It is a bit like the reason that they preclude mention of previous convictions in criminal trials, because a prior "conviction" does not mean the guy is guilty of every other future offence of the same type. The decision in 2000 was crap and yet it seems to be referred to time and time again to taint me.

DG

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, I do not play one on TV nor do I look like one.

I don't think it is relevant. Each domain is different. It is not like a speeding case where the issues are consistent (speed limit, car's speed, driving conditions etc..). Just because someone lost XYZ.com in a WIPO case doesn't mean that everyone who has a domain should lose theirs right off.

It sounds more like scare tactics from uneducated lawyers.

Is your domain similar to the domain in the referred to case and is it the same or similar company?

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You could always change your name ... :)

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, I do not play one on TV nor do I look like one.

I don't think it is relevant. Each domain is different. It is not like a speeding case where the issues are consistent (speed limit, car's speed, driving conditions etc..). Just because someone lost XYZ.com in a WIPO case doesn't mean that everyone who has a domain should lose theirs right off.

It sounds more like scare tactics from uneducated lawyers.

Is your domain similar to the domain in the referred to case and is it the same or similar company?

Nope different names different companies. Without fail they always seem to raise same case.

DG

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2006/d2006-0445.html

Although some of the domain names registered by Respondent do raise questions, a bare list of domain names without evidence of how they are being used and whether they reflect bad faith, and a single adverse decision, do not make a pattern. Moreover, even if it were a pattern, and even if Respondent was found to have been a cybersquatter in another case, the question in this case is whether Respondent has cybersquatted this Domain Name. See e-Duction, Inc. v. Zuccarini, WIPO Case No. D2000-1369, concurring opinion (February 5, 2001) (decisions against same respondent in other actions is not necessarily relevant because “[e]ven a blind pig finds an acorn sometimes”).

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are right, it should not matter. Unfortunately, when it comes to the human mind and the use of judgement, immaterial things can sway a person. This is human nature. This why you need to pick your battles wisely.

PS- didn't realize pigs ate acorns., I wonder how many yhey need to eat in a day to stay so fat?

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2006/d2006-0445.html

Although some of the domain names registered by Respondent do raise questions, a bare list of domain names without evidence of how they are being used and whether they reflect bad faith, and a single adverse decision, do not make a pattern. Moreover, even if it were a pattern, and even if Respondent was found to have been a cybersquatter in another case, the question in this case is whether Respondent has cybersquatted this Domain Name. See e-Duction, Inc. v. Zuccarini, WIPO Case No. D2000-1369, concurring opinion (February 5, 2001) (decisions against same respondent in other actions is not necessarily relevant because “[e]ven a blind pig finds an acorn sometimes”).

Thanks for that useful quotation.

DG

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that useful quotation.

Especially if you are a blind pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom