Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How safe is Escrow.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I've never used Escrow.com for domain name transfer. How safe are they for those large x,xxx plus sales and is there any caution I need to take using them?

Thanks

Domain Days 2024

biznews

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Escrow.com is the safest there is. Besides them, Sedo, Moniker has escrow services as well. All have their respective fees. You may want to learn about that as well..

Good luck on your sale!

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Safest there is? How about after you push a domain, the buyer changes the whois info you the sellers and tells Escrow the domain was never transferred.

It is better to go with a service like Moniker, that acts as the middleman for both the funds and also the domain. They take the money, take the domain, send domain to buyer, and send money to seller. This way no one is ripped off.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The possibility of a whois scam is what I was wondering about. I like the way moniker does their escrow service. Think I will use them. Thanks JDK.

biznews

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, Escrow provides an inspection period, where all 3 parties, buyer, seller and Escrow verify domain transfer via Whois. Only then, do they release the funds.

If the scenario you provided earlier in the thread is based on assumption, then my reply above contends that it is not true. On the other hand if this has happened in reality, I am not aware of it. I can only speak from my personal experiences.

However, I agree on Moniker's security approach. But I assume, their fees are high for domain sales compared to Escrow.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Safest there is? How about after you push a domain, the buyer changes the whois info you the sellers and tells Escrow the domain was never transferred

While this was certainly a large possibility in the past, escrow.com (I belive) has recently changed their policy. Since the buyer actually has to physically push the accept button, once they do so, I believe it is written in the TOS that once they hit accept, they accept responsiblity for the transfer going through, and cannot back out of the deal.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I can only go from what I have read instead of experience. I have used neither service for domain sales as I usually buy more names then sell.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
try Moniker escrow , its the safest not Escrow. there r serious flaws with escrow like JDK pointed out.

D

Deleted member 70408

I have used Sedo and Escrow.com. Personally, I liked Sedo's service better.

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've used sedo, afternic, moniker, and escrow.com... and direct wire transfer is the best (for the seller :) hehe). I've heard of the escrow.com change whois stuff in theory, but never actually heard of anyone complaining about it actually happening. They charge the cheapest %, but Moniker's process is simply the most secure and failsafe.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I prefer Sedo to escrow - more personal and no US$40 international wiring fee.

If something ever went wrong security wise, I feel Sedo would be more responsive in getting things sorted out.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Escrow are okay for smaller sums XXX but if you're talking of large sums like X,XXX then Moniker would be recommended for additional security...at least that is my theoretical and practical knowledge witht their services...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom