Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

how to approach someone when you have their company name

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i picked up a few names in a drop that are generic business names - think along the lines of "QualityRealEstate.com" - there are probably 10-15 businesses that have these names across the country (that i could find via search).

Anyone have any experience approaching these types of people? My instinct is that the key is to not put them off and make them think you are blackmailing them (which i'm not obviously), but rather making it sound like a great opportunity....

any suggestions?

Domain Days 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Type up a PERSONALIZED email. Be direct about what you are offering. NEVER mention prices but do give them your email and phone number to contact you if they decide to grab this "great opportunity". Try to approach the decision-maker at the company. Bypass HR by all means.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
these are smaller businesses - the majority probably have 5 employees or less, so it will definitely go to the head guy..

zenlogo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is DONT.
A name like QualityRealEstate is not really generic. It has a general category (realestate) plus a specific: (quality). In other words it can quite easily be a trademarked name. I would not do a general mailing UNLESS you've confirmed it is not owned in a trademark search. Offering a name to a trademark holder is just an invitation to legal action. good luck, zen

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
these are smaller businesses - the majority probably have 5 employees or less, so it will definitely go to the head guy..

Then pick up the phone and cold-call :)

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If there are several businesses all with the exact same name, it's unlikely there's any trademark existing.

As the businesses are all small private companies, I would have thought that the name isn't going to be very expensive - realistically are you looking at a $xxxx price for a good sale?

If so, a simple option could be to place it with your preferred auction site with your reserve as the starting price, and make every one of the businesses know in advance, when and how they can bid.

I'm assuming a lot here so I may be way off the mark, just my 2c.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom