Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How to choose between domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

insomnia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have this dilemma. How does one decide which domain is more popular? By Google search results? Overture numbers? Other? For example, one name might have low google search results, but high overture numbers. The other vice versa. Which would be better?
I've been looking at some 2 character domains and deciding which ones are worth while. Let me know, thanks!

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Overture gives you a rough estimite of the SIZE of a market (for a keyword/phrase Google gives yopu the number of competing web pages for that keyword/phrase/

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain names are important, but it's more of an art than a science. For every rule there is an exception.

• Shorter isn't always better, since people often remember words easier than acronyms and abbreviations.
  • Search engine hits can mean the name is popular and help you get to the top, but it can also mean you get lost in a large list.
  • Keyword search counts can mean lots of people search the term, but it may not translate to sales or can limit growth to other markets.
  • Even a name with traffic can be bad if they are expecting the product of a different industry. Especially if you are paying the bandwidth bill.

Some common sense rules often make more sense:
  • Is the name pronounceable and sound like common language
  • Does the name indicate what the company does? If not, it will take marketing $ to associate name with product.
  • Does it make a good logo?
  • Is it too much like the competition giving you no identity of your own?

If these things make sense, then look at the figures to see if they can help, but I wouldn't make a decision solely on numbers. Just because iraqmp3sex.com gives you high numbers doesn't make it a good domain name.

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I buy both (or more) and check the stats. It's a bit more expensive but you can drop the loser :)

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domainaholic
I buy both (or more) and check the stats. It's a bit more expensive but you can drop the loser :)

I normally have more than one name as well, but you still need to pick only one for a logo and site name. I do keep extra generics, sound alikes, and sometimes typos, and park them on the same site. For example, I thought Adoptable Domains had more of ring to it than Adopt A Domain, even though fewer letters. I use the former, but also have adoptadomain.com pointed to my site. I also considered WebIDstore .com, but have it parked and for sale. The problem with it was it can be seen as web ID store or we bid store. same spelling but potential confusion in meaning if the logo is not viewed.

M

mole

Originally posted by adoptabledomains
Domain names are important, but it's more of an art than a science. For every rule there is an exception.

Truth well told :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom