Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How to find out if a name has been hijacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I am looking at some valuable names. I am a little curious if they have any "bad karma" associated with them. Any ideas on how I could find out any information if they are hijacked or stolen?

Thanks!

-Bob

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, if they are at DotRegistrar, there is a good chance that the most recent thief hijacked them. He moved all of his loot over to that registrar. Other than that, its pretty hard.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's an outrage that an advisory list isn't circulating amongst registrars and that any name that is the source of conflict (stolen or before ICANN) doesn't have a note attached to its whois.

It's bad enough that NSI never makes public names that have been stolen...

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bob: you can use tools like Alexa and www.archive.org to see if the domain has changed hands recently. There's no "perfect" way to trace a domain name's history, like there would be for real estate. That's one thing I'd like to see one or more of the registrars do, i.e. have a public "audit trail". It would improve the security of the entire system, to have that transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom