Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How to open a huge zone file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All

I have a very large .com zone file I am trying to review. The size is 1,562,625kb I have tried opening with wordpad and notepad and my virtual memory is not enough? How the heck can I view this thing? Any help appreciated :)

Dan

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
:laugh: Welcome to the world of the com zone file.

Notepad cannot open anything over 32767 characters (due to how they defined some variables in the program itself). Wordpad is better, but still not powerful enough to load it all. DOS EDIT will only load the first 65535 lines.

I never open up the raw zone files. I wrote a C++ program that parses them and eliminates the (what I consider) junk. (It takes about 10 mintutes to parse the entire com zone file and about 4 minutes to parse the net and org zone files). After pruning, I have the com zone file to a managable 65 Megs. If I wanted to, from there, I can open up the file in a program called "UltraEdit".

Just out of curiosity, I tried to open one of the daily com zone files in its raw state (1.5 GB) with UltraEdit. I was not successful, but I only wait for about 10 minutes. My computer has 768 MB of ram (and I am looking to upgrade to 1500 MB).

Good luck! :D

-Bob

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You could also use a file splitter application. Do a search and you are certain to find a few freeware file splitters available on the web.

daniel

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok found a file splitter nor I have over 1000 smaller files that I can manage. All that I see in the zone files are the .com name and the registrar? How do I get the drop date for this massive list?

Learning every day..........

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by daniel
Ok found a file splitter nor I have over 1000 smaller files that I can manage. All that I see in the zone files are the .com name and the registrar? How do I get the drop date for this massive list?

Learning every day..........

The zone files contain a bunch of crap at the beginning, then the good stuff.

The first field is the domain name.

The second field is the type of record it is (there are a lot of types of records including NS, A, B, C, HX, MX, etc). The only things that appear in the zone files from VeriSLIME are NS and A records.

The third field is the DNS server.

Expiration dates are contained in the HX records, which are NOT part of the zone files publically available (wish it were). Do not despair, you can still make drop lists from them. You have to take the scenic route there, but you have to figure out how to do this for yourself. I am NOT going to tell you how to this as it would not be fair to those of us who spent countless hours figuring it out for ourselves. You must do your own homework. :razz: :D

If you do your homework, the information is out there. It is not all at one place (that I could find), and you will have to gather info from multiple sources. It took me 1-2 months to figure everything out, but that was 2 years ago when very few people knew how it worked.

Suffice it to say, if you are not a programmer or you do not know one, you have a huge uphill battle.

Teaching but not giving away the farm ..............

-Bob

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by daniel
Thanks Bob, I understand... I will continue with my project, just needed a little direction.

Sure, please PM me if you get stuck. I will get you back on track.

-Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom