Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How to purchase a domain name from someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

herbboy

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how to go about purchasing a domain name that is being "used" by another business. The business does not have anything to do with the name that I want, but for some reason has it registered. How can I make an offer to them to purchase it? How do I know how much to offer? I just want the DN that they have and really do not need.

Thanks for the help

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is the name for sale?

have you contacted them with interest to purchase?

if not, do so and ask if it is for sale, while inquiring about a price.

if they respond, then you'll know where you stand.

use an escrow service to handle the transaction or sedo/moniker

good luck

this can be done via email or phone if a number is available.

herbboy

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have not contacted them with interest to purchase..yet..i wanted to know how to go about apraising the DN. i plan on contacting them very soon. what sort of escrow service are you speaking of? and i have no idea what a sedo/moniker is..sorry..

Thanks

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
herbboy said:
i have not contacted them with interest to purchase..yet..i wanted to know how to go about apraising the DN. i plan on contacting them very soon. what sort of escrow service are you speaking of? and i have no idea what a sedo/moniker is..sorry..

Thanks

without telling us the domain, why is it so imperative that you have it?

are there no other domains that would suit your purpose?

do you know something special about this name, that they don't?

does it have traffic, links?

sedo is a domain marketplace which offers domains for sale for the respective owners of those domains.

moniker is a domain registrar and offers similiar services as sedo.

both will accept payments and assist in the domain transfer to the new owner.

escrow.com will accept payments and then release those payments to seller, once buyer has confirmed receipt of the domain.

for appraisal, you should have a budget of how much you are willing to pay.

herbboy

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the reason i want the domain..is because it is the name of the business that we own.....we could use a .net or .org but i would really like to have the .com for obvious reasons...it would be a great asset to the marketing of our business..they don't need it.. it is re-directed to a different site when you type it in..it is a similar type of business but located in a very different area of the state..

thanks for the info on the sedo/moniker...i appreciate the help

T

tekz999

Just email them and offer what you think the name is worth. Seize the opportunity or regret.

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
before you email them to find out if its for sale or to make an offer i would go ahead and register the .net and .org if they are both still available. It will only cost you like $10-$20 total. If you dont they might grab those also when they find out someone is interested in their .com and then you might not be able to have any of the 3 major extensions or they will make you pay a very high price for the .com since they will have all the major extensions and will know that you need at least one of them. If you reg the .net and .org and they wont sell the .com you will at least have the .net and .org as a backup and they are both well known to almost everyone and would also work for a business.

herbboy

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
many thanks nrmillions...i was going to for sure register the .net which is still available..actually the only one that is taken is the .com Still wondering how much a DN is worth.. it can't be worth much to them...how much is an average sale price?? for a small business...i know it depends on certain factors..but it seems like this company that holds the .com is just sitting on it...thanks for the help everyone..

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its almost impossible to tell you how much it is worth without knowing the name but if only the .com is taken then there is a good chance it isnt worth too much. There really is no average sale price. A DN could be worth anywhere from $0 to millions of dollars. I would reg the .net and the .org and then email them an offer of $50-$100 and see how they respond.

herbboy

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks so much for all the help! going to register my .net and .org names now.. any suggestions on what site to register on?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
herbboy said:
thanks so much for all the help! going to register my .net and .org names now.. any suggestions on what site to register on?

if it were me

i would not register the .net or .org

it's not good business

wait

if they notice that .net and .org was recently registered, and now here's an

email with interest to purchase the .com? ... :rolleyes: = price increase!

if the .com is parked now, then assume they will see it as i have illustrated.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
herbboy said:
the reason i want the domain..is because it is the name of the business that we own.....we could use a .net or .org but i would really like to have the .com for obvious reasons...it would be a great asset to the marketing of our business..they don't need it.. it is re-directed to a different site when you type it in..it is a similar type of business but located in a very different area of the state..

thanks for the info on the sedo/moniker...i appreciate the help

another reason not to register the .net /.org

if you do, and use it for your business which you stated is "similiar" to theirs, then they could possibly claim YOU are infringing.

just my $3.50 :)

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You said they dont have any use for the name so Im guessing they dont have a business by that name but you said it is the name of your business so you would not be infringing, they would be the ones infringing if your name is TM. If there is no TM then noone is infringing anyway. If they see the .net and .org are gone then they might increase the price a little but probably not too much since you can just tell them you will just use those extensions if they cant give you a reasonable price for the .com. If you give them a chance to own all 3 extensions then they will know they can charge you whatever they want.

Malaysia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
find the whois email n email them directly..tell them u are a small company or such.. expect to pay at least $50 $100 or even more..see who u meet..if a pro domainer then u might need to pay more but for those small domainers they might just take ur offer..start offering low..

herbboy

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow..now i am a little confused..should i register the .net and .org or not?? I know the name is not TM and that I would not be infringing on them in any way. The business that owns the .com is in the same line of business..not in the same town or even close. (for example...we are both tire stores but in different parts of the state..we are not tire stores..but you get what i am saying..)

I think I need to at least register the .net because that is the one i would most likely use if they will not sell the .com for a fair price.

What do you all think?

We do have another .com but when we purchased the business..the previous owner had purchased another business that has been in our city for almost 70 years and folded them in together. Then they have gradually tried to change the name from the original business name to the newly aquired business that has a 70 year reputation in this area, and has a shorter more to the point name. The .com that we have now is for the original business.

Hopefully this guve you all some background on what I am trying to do.

Thanks again for all the great help you have been giving. This forum is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom