Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Wanted: Service How to re-direct traffic from old indexed pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameMatters

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How to re-direct traffic from old indexed pages to the home page of my web site?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You really should not do this, you would be better off redirecting to a holding page and link to your Index Page from there, as otherwise you run the risk of getting delisted from search engines like google.

ErrorDocument 404 /404.php

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is a few months old, but I can use a good line for my htaccsss to direct old pages to the index without issues for my SE placement. I'm revamping some sites with mega-content and need a simple solution. As well for some of my newer domains which get historic traffic from SE, I'd like to capture that traffic.

The line mentioned by Daniel works perfectly and is as simple as it gets, but I'm concerned with what namestrands states.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jack.. Just create a new page 404.htm and redirect all old non existent pages to this.

Then have a link to your home page. This way you will not damage your index page in the search engines.. redirecting many pages to your index page will cause duplicate content and you will eventually get delisted or at least put in the sandbox.

However, if the old pages have equivilent new pages then consider doing a 301 redirect, this will maintain any page rank the old pages have and will pass it on to the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom