Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

How to start making money on my domains names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJCOM

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm new to all of this. And I have a question or two.:?:

So I bought a few domain names that I like and I currently have them listed as up for sale. However, I understand that there may be ways for me to make money off my site while I wait for them to be sold, or in some cases where I have a domain name i am not currently selling, but am trying to keep, I can make money off of it as well.

I have a particular domain parked at Sedo, where it makes a few cents everytime someone goes to it and clicks something.

I can do this with all my domains.... but... IS there a better way? Something I'm not seeing?

I saw suggested somewhere else that someone put up a "minisite" is this a common term? I have the ability to make a basic website.

I'm obviously a little inexperienced. if someone could help me out that'd be great :)

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
... People are pretty tight lipped around here I have found out. May not get to much input, but I hope you do! PM me with your domains and if I have input I will share it with you.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best way to learn is to look all around the forum, there is plenty of good info if you are willing to take the time to dig around.

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The best way to learn is to look all around the forum, there is plenty of good info if you are willing to take the time to dig around.

This is the best answer, well said!!

rmnarmenta

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like this phrase that has been used on a few occasions here regarding this forum:
"Read, Read, Read, Read, Read, then when your done, go back and Read again",
Personally, I like it, and it does work.
Best of luck to you.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm new to all of this. And I have a question or two.:?:

So I bought a few domain names that I like and I currently have them listed as up for sale. However, I understand that there may be ways for me to make money off my site while I wait for them to be sold, or in some cases where I have a domain name i am not currently selling, but am trying to keep, I can make money off of it as well.

I have a particular domain parked at Sedo, where it makes a few cents everytime someone goes to it and clicks something.

I can do this with all my domains.... but... IS there a better way? Something I'm not seeing?

I saw suggested somewhere else that someone put up a "minisite" is this a common term? I have the ability to make a basic website.

I'm obviously a little inexperienced. if someone could help me out that'd be great :)

If you are trying to get the most out of your domains you have to know the potential of the domains. Maybe try posting in the appraisals forum or doing your own research, comparing similar domains, etc...

You may want to hold out for an end user or try a more active selling approach. Parking is good for domains with significant traffic and/or high cost per click. Developing sites can be even more rewarding and there are infinite resources on the net.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are tons of free articles on the internet about monetizing domains by creating minisites, hooking up with affiliate programs etc. There are sections in the forum on most topics of this nature. The advice to read, read, read is probably the best.

WebsiteTraders.Com

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
basically 3 ways to monitorize
1.Parking
2.Set up a mini website with google adsense
3.Affiliate Programs on your website
4.Sell your own product.

u got to first plan which of these u'll be able to do...then work on the specific type u want to monitorize

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to make money from your domain is to develop it. It is easier than most people think it to be. I wrote some articles about the topic on my blog (sig).

KaneCo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with developing sites, but also I believe you need a niche to focus on. Once I started focusing on just tangible goods I made a lot more money then just buying good domain names to try and resell. If you know nothing a on a subject it is tough to get a site going that will have any staying power. Don;t get me wrong I sell some good names but make the bulk of money on affiliate sites and adense/ypn revenue. Other people a good at typos, others are really good at finding end users. Its all about your niche!

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the domains are blog related, then the easiest way is wordpress. I just installed the newest version on some new blogs, and quite impressive, as opposed to Joomla, which gets more complicated each version, wordpress, seems to have taken the opposite road of simplification. You can get your site up and blogging within an hour, no kidding, with either dynamic pages (blogs) or static ones, with Adsense plugged in.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think domaining and site development are two different things. There is a vast amount of resources for site development on the internet. If you are looking for domaining advice however, this is the best place to be.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think domaining and site development are two different things. There is a vast amount of resources for site development on the internet. If you are looking for domaining advice however, this is the best place to be.

True, but a lot of new-bies buy domains, and wonder why they're not getting any traffic, which brings in the developing discussion.

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps worth to mention to choose a domainname on a subject that you know something about or have some kind of affection with. One of the mistakes I made was that when I started to develop a domainname for the first time, I just didn't do that. That meant: learning how to build a website including content etc. + learning about the product itself at the same time. It took too long but then I changed subject and increased the learning curve.

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> I think domaining and site development are two different things. There is a vast amount of resources for site development on the internet. If you are looking for domaining advice however, this is the best place to be. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
True, but a lot of new-bies buy domains, and wonder why they're not getting any traffic, which brings in the developing discussion.

You both are absolutely right!!

We should probably ask....
.. a question then.

How fast do you want your feet to hit the ground running and what income do you want to make from day one?

There's two ways to do this if you are just starting.

Fast Way
1. You have a bankroll to buy established domains with traffic that make "X" amount of Parking PPC income daily to make you happy.

Slower Way
2. It takes a long while before a hand reg'd name gains enough traction parking (Parked.com, Sedo, RevenueDirect) to generate suitable income for anyone. Thus you need to develop sites and build the traffic to them.

If you are new to this you should stay away from hand registering vanity names. Stick to generic keyword phrase of 2 - 3 words as little characters as possible.

Also at the end of the day the mini script sites that most of us use to develop our domains is still consider parking. You just get to keep 100% of revenue instead of giving 40% - 60% to a parking company.

I think the majority of the people on this board do a little of #1 and #2.

commanderfun

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello There, I'm also relatively new to domaining. However, I've been a web developer for a long time and can leverage those programming skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well i own forsalebyowner.com in spanish and i need help in putting together a nationwide website.. can some give there input

profilepic93688_1.gif

commanderfun

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There a company here in Venice called MoleculeDesignStudios.com that does spanish language sites. We've worked with them in several site translations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom