Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How to stop from being hacked??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a phpbb forum that keeps on getting hacked about once a week :angry:

They are hacking via the admin panel of the forum. Ihave changed the password multiple times, but they still get in. I contacted my webhost, and they said about blocking ip addresses, but I don't know what the hacker's ip address is.

Anybody here have any idea how to stop this?

Up until this point, it is only a 'nice' hack, as they are only changing the title, description, email address, and avatar gallery...but they could really hurt the site if they want to.

Apparently it is the owner of ziox.org, which is only a parking page. I don't know how or why they picked me, but I need it to stop.

Any suggestions? :worried:

Domain Days 2024

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First I would make sure your phpbb is the latest version. 2.0.18. When you login to the admin panel it shows the last ip's to login to the admin panel. You can take these and block them. I am assuming you probably have an old phpbb and they are using an exploit to gain access.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks. you are right, I am using 2.0.11.

Brings me to another question. I have had some mod rewrite done to this forum, if I try to upgrade, will it cause a problem?

Also, with the version I now have, is there a way to see the latest ip login in the admin panel, or is that something with the newer version?

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just upgrade, you won't stop them by banning their ip.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
can i upgrade without effecting the mod rewrite?

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know how they are getting in and a patch for you:

* in "includes/sessions.php" replace code:

if( $sessiondata['autologinid'] == $auto_login_key )

replace with:

if( $sessiondata['autologinid'] === $auto_login_key )

:)

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow. thanks. i will give it a try!

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you still should upgrade, as there are other issues with older versions of phpbb. if you look on the phpbb forum there are instuctions on how to upgrade manually which you will need to do so not to effect your mods

NetTuner

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What really works, and is the easiest to implement, is to password protect your admin directory using .htaccess. That will stop them dead in their tracks. Since there is no other need for anyone but mods to access the admin area, this will have no negative effect on your forum. Good luck.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I use phpBB now I setup search engine friendly urls and rename all the core php files and change the files to effect it. Next I rename variables - Its a pain installing a mod but I rest assured any exploit found for another phpBB probably wont work for my versions :)

PS. If anyone wants a secure premodded phpBB with search engine friendly urls checkout http://extremephpbb.com (not my site, Im a dev over there)

Shark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Best, stop using phpbb. Its a crappy script. Every version has bugs. Every release is being hacked.

I'd rather recommend you to switch over to SMF, which is free, more secure & feature-rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom