Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How to tell if a buyer is serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had someone contact me saying they want to buy one of my sites; I wasn't advertising the site as I don't really want to sell the site unless I get a really good offer.

Now.... I told the buyer that the site wasn't for sale; but if he was to send over his offer I would consider it. He replied back & is now asking for site profits/loss, expenses, traffic & bandwidth details & all that jazz.

Obviously I know prospective buyers need this info, but how do you pick the serious buyers from the people who are just digging for information? I was recently contacted by the owners of a reasonably large website about the site as well wanting to buy the site & once I gave them the information they wanted I never heard from them again.

Thanks guys! :)

Domain Days 2024

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had someone contact me saying they want to buy one of my sites; I wasn't advertising the site as I don't really want to sell the site unless I get a really good offer.

Now.... I told the buyer that the site wasn't for sale; but if he was to send over his offer I would consider it. He replied back & is now asking for site profits/loss, expenses, traffic & bandwidth details & all that jazz.

Obviously I know prospective buyers need this info, but how do you pick the serious buyers from the people who are just digging for information? I was recently contacted by the owners of a reasonably large website about the site as well wanting to buy the site & once I gave them the information they wanted I never heard from them again.

Thanks guys! :)

Like any business transaction you both must do due diligence. Ask the buyer for references, past transactions, a letter from their bank, etc. You may want to make sure the offer is at or above the price you are anticipating otherwise everyone is wasting their time. I don't know how big the site is nor what numbers looks like but, it may be worthwhile for you to ask an attorney to draft a non disclosure agreement so that the information will remain confidential between you and the prospective buyer(s). This would also determine just how serious they are. If they refuse to sign the NDA you know where you stand. You can always use the NDA for the next deal if this one doesn't progress to the next level.

Good Luck!

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tell them you would want $whatever, atleast. And if they are still interested at that price you will send the requested info.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You never really know if a buyer is serious. The information requested sounds reasonable for someone wanting to purchase a website, though. You could also give them your phone number and tell them to phone you to discuss everything, that way nothing is in writing. A scammer or less serious person is less likely to make a call.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ask for a deposit, some of which will be refunded if there is no purchase.

why?

because putting together stats is work and you have to pay staff to provide the info.

if they so no, then forget them.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the input guys! :)

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:doh: I probably just spent around $400 getting a contract made up, chatting for 1 month by email........then the buyer pulled out of the deal. Nothing I can do. I may take a deposit if there is a 'next time'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom