Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Huge Order Of Dot .tattoo Domains !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karim Nasser

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been an Internaut since day one, ok not exactly but I was raised in the 1960s, so I've been around for quite a while and although my ratings are still at 0 on DNF, I have plenty of experience in many aspects of the Internet/Website business, until I start typing TLDs other than .com .net or .org, I'm not buying (pun intended) these new TLDs. If .biz was a massive failure you think .tattoo is going to make it? The only party who benefited were registrars, selling to resellers mostly. Those TLDs were lobbied by domain registrars and mostly benefit registrars. I may change my mind when today's social media generation starts using those new TLDs and 12 year old kids start typing www.videos.whatever. Until then I'm sticking to my classic TLDs.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Karim, nobody forces you to buy anything you don't like. BTW you're saying 750k+ gTLD registrations were made by 'resellers'? I'd like to see them say something in this thread :D Come on folks, where are you hiding???

Karim Nasser

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A reseller is someone who buys domains and doesn't develop websites, agreed?

I can't find a single .tattoo website searching through Google, how long has this TLD been available? Furthermore, most (not all) business searches yield a .com result, this is fact, for most (not all) keywords. Most of these new TLDs are promoted because they are niche or different or special, being different only gets you short-term success, being better gets you long term presence and success. Is newyork.tattoo better than newyorktattoo.com? I sincerely doubt it.

This is my opinion, I hope it is accepted in this forum without being frowned upon, or are we all patting each other on the back here?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The argument over .biz is the most chewed over piece of gum, shared among those that have no interest in the new expansion of the Internet name space. Personally, I prefer my own stick of gum.

For the record, this particular article is parody, so clearly you have a lot to learn.

Karim Nasser

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I have a lot to learn, apparently you're not one to share knowledge, enjoy your gum.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Karim, I share with those that have an open mind, not those that believe mint is the only gum flavor that should exist.

Karim Nasser

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Being open minded means that you share, regardless. I share my opinion, you share yours, yet somehow I sense a note of rejection, and that's fine, you are entitled to that. I hope we meet in another thread under better circumstances, like a .COM discussion for example :)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'm as much of a .com guy as the next one, but this discussion is rather off topic.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'm as much of a .com guy as the next one, but this discussion is rather off topic.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's all take one step back. First of all, I loved how @MobileDesigner put it as gTLD's being IPO's. There is uncertainty behind every new IPO. Especially when $FB was released higher than most would say it was worth. The ones who took risk, were rewarded. The poor saps at ENRON (not an IPO) that were duped into conversions and buying stock, lost mostly everything. A good comparison between the two: diversification.

You don't know what the interwebs is going to look like from your vantage of the 70s to the 20s. Open your mind and reg a couple to gain some or lose some.

We all call investing just that, investing. It's much deeper than that though. It's our blind greed getting to us and telling us; through our knowledge, to put $ in X and $ in Y. In reality, it's gambling.

When you're taking your chips and placing them all on .com, can you for 100% say that the namespace won't change in the next 20 years?

Think about what cultural and sociological changes you've witnessed through your entire lifespan and then apply that retained knowledge to the question before you bash.

As far as the topic, yeah, it got derailed. Putting @Theo up on stakes, not a good idea. He has a lot of knowledge to share if you ask him. His answers will come in humor, for you to decipher though.

Additionally, browse around DG and see that some are satire articles and others are 100% true. Even the ones that are true, are written with humor.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A reseller is someone who buys domains and doesn't develop websites, agreed?

I can't find a single .tattoo website searching through Google, how long has this TLD been available? Furthermore, most (not all) business searches yield a .com result, this is fact, for most (not all) keywords. Most of these new TLDs are promoted because they are niche or different or special, being different only gets you short-term success, being better gets you long term presence and success. Is newyork.tattoo better than newyorktattoo.com? I sincerely doubt it.

This is my opinion, I hope it is accepted in this forum without being frowned upon, or are we all patting each other on the back here?

PS: I think you need to learn how to use Google. Try searching site:.tattoo. I'm sure that's a new feature and the internet is already evolving though.

Karim Nasser

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
PS: I think you need to learn how to use Google. Try searching site:.tattoo. I'm sure that's a new feature and the internet is already evolving though.

I'm very familiar with the various search prefixes, I was thinking more about the average user, how would they get search results with .tattoo TLD, I'm sure Google has already crawled these websites and ranked them. Do you think Adsense partners will exclude these new TLDs? Will they embrace them?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm very familiar with the various search prefixes, I was thinking more about the average user, how would they get search results with .tattoo TLD, I'm sure Google has already crawled these websites and ranked them. Do you think Adsense partners will exclude these new TLDs? Will they embrace them?

Great questions and concerns. I believe Google has already crawled them, but not finished ranking them and still working on an algorithm to correctly place them. I say this because I'm located in Okinawa, Japan and when doing a search for okinawa tattoos, okinawa.tattoo is on the 3rd page. Obviously it's ranking accordingly to my geographic location and your results may vary.

Why wouldn't AdSense partners embrace the gTLD's? If they're in it for the money, they will open their minds as well. I don't know if RM or Sedo is using a Google feed, but my parked gTLD's are receiving keyword driven results instead of nothing. I think that pretty much answers the question. If they'd allow parked pages, anything goes.

Karim Nasser

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great questions and concerns. I believe Google has already crawled them, but not finished ranking them and still working on an algorithm to correctly place them. I say this because I'm located in Okinawa, Japan and when doing a search for okinawa tattoos, okinawa.tattoo is on the 3rd page. Obviously it's ranking accordingly to my geographic location and your results may vary.

Why wouldn't AdSense partners embrace the gTLD's? If they're in it for the money, they will open their minds as well. I don't know if RM or Sedo is using a Google feed, but my parked gTLD's are receiving keyword driven results instead of nothing. I think that pretty much answers the question. If they'd allow parked pages, anything goes.

You make a good point, if they allow parked pages, anything goes.

If an Internaut clicks on an Adsense ad and ends up on a .tattoo or .biz, will they "trust" this page as much as they would if it were a .com or .net? How does affect the Adwords bids, knowing that certain people trust one TLD more than another? The other day I had a discussion with a 12 year old about the differences between .com and .org, the 12 year old was convinced that what they read on .org websites are truths and .com mostly fabricated lies.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this goes into a gTLD discussion.

My friend said that one of his professors would only allow .org to be cited as a reference as it's "truth". Obviously, this is not truth and I've operated my adult themed sites under .org for some time (10 or so years ago). I asked him if he even knew that .org, .net or .com could be registered without restrictions, unlike .edu. My friend said that he didn't (not a domainer) and I said to instruct his professor that he's a tool for making .org the only legitimate resource to use as 1) there's Wiki [and we know that's not 100% fact, but there are good citations for what is being said to use on your own work] and 2) that I had adult sites (I'm sure there are numerous others) and showed him archive.org to back it up.

It's of my opinion that we will dictate by what is taught to us what is a good source is when doing research. It will be up to us for the rest of time to determine if we want to go to a .plumbers website, a .com directory [which will probably link to the .plumbers] or do the good old fashion method of using the Yellow Pages [do they still print those anymore?].

As far as .tattoo goes, this is a very good niche for any studio to have. It's also one of the best gTLD's as it will introduce others (by means of business cards, etc.) who may not know the difference of .com/.net/.org, to a new realm... the new generation of internet consumers that dictate the future of namespace.

In the future, it won't be, "go to thiswebsiteforrecipes.com", but brownie.recipes for the best brownie recipes. Will I trust the brownie recipes on brownie.recipes any other than I would from a cookbook? Not unless it had ingredients like 2 cups of ammonia instead of water.

My vision seems like it will be people remembering the names as they do street names. Where do you live? 123 Elm Street. 123 being a subdomain on the domain name Elm with a gTLD of Street. (123.Elm.Street)

They seem more logical to remember this way, it's just a matter of time before they catch on. Like most will say, don't buy. Well then listen to them and blindly follow, don't buy. If you don't have the cash to cough up, I would recommend it as well. It may do you better off in a IRA, or it may make you an IRA. Who really knows?

Nobody is certain and nobody can lay a solid 100% claim that these 1000 TLD's will never catch on. They can only point to past facts and figures to put statistics on the unknown future. Seems logical enough that .mobi failed, .mobile and others will too, right? Well, it may or may not. That being said, it's all a matter of timing. Was the time right for them? Are .mobi's going to be looked at on the same level now? Why did .info 'fail'? Questions nobody has answers for.

What's the best approach then? Diversification. I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket and still investing in the king of .com. However, I will either have a nest egg of carefully selected gTLD's to fall back on if the king turns into a public figure as the monarchy falls to democracy, or a bunch of pigeon shit. I'd like a future teller to tell me which gTLD's are going to fail, which ones succeed and which keywords to select in each one. However, that won't happen. Fall into the buy or don't buy hype and miss out either way (there are going to be sales, just how big of an ROI, unforeseen).

PS: I was slightly disappointed that this was a satire article... I wanted to meet the owner of said club. :D

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know people, change is not always fast - even on the Internet.
For example, TCP/IP and DNS are 40- and 30-year old technologies respectively. E-mail standard is very old too.
They are still in place because:
  • it works baby !
  • no need to fix what ain't broken
  • there has to be a clear financial (or technological) incentive for upgrading things
By the way, even IPv6 is being deployed very slowly. Yet the IPv4 pool is depleted so it is urgent to act on this matter. My point is that there is considerable inertia, even on the Internet that is supposed to be a place of never-ending change. Not quite.

The problem is not whether change is taking place or not. Change is probably not fast enough to capitalize on it. In a best case scenario those little strings will take many years to increase in value.
Domainers typically do not invest with a 20-year horizon. Again, this is an optimistic view, it's not mine. I do not very much believe in the first mover advantage here, I'd rather be a fast second.

Come back in 5 years, same place, same time, I am sure we will still be seeing the same discussions like "when is .thatstring finally taking off". Never mind that TLDs will be added to or removed from the root every week :)
Domainers will still be waiting for a miracle that won't come. It doesn't shock me if end users buy a new TLD for development. What is shocking is buying a lot of those strictly for speculation when the odds are stacked against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom