Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

hyphen domain question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How do you check the potential traffic of hyphen domains (as OVT doesn't give reliable results for such domains)? I found a domain (????-????.???) with 379 OVT... would it be reasonable to expect traffic?

Domain Days 2024

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Almost certainly not typin traffic. Maybe traffic from backlinks, but I don't think OVT is a good way to check hyphenated domain traffic unless you are checking with extension?

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no possible way to know , OVT can only be a guide , even without the hyphen you can only use OVT as a guide. In the case you have described , if the domain without the hyphen has high ovt w/ext then it will likely get some traffic , but probably not as much as you would think , probably trickle traffic.

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
007 said:
Almost certainly not typin traffic. Maybe traffic from backlinks, but I don't think OVT is a good way to check hyphenated domain traffic unless you are checking with extension?

yes, i am checking with extension. I enter (just an example) my-domain.ru and OVT shows "379 my domain.ru". I checked link popularity on www.seochat.com and it showed that there are absolutely no links leading to this domain. Also, I don't think a website with this name has ever existed... any ideas how to make sense of this?

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it is because the ovt results you are seeing are people typing that in with the spacebar mostly , and not with the hyphen , but some are with the hyphen , you just don't know how many, usually its not a lot. OVT tool does not recognize a hyphen.

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
does anyone actually have a hyphen domain with lots of type-in traffic?

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have a few hyphen domains that get type-ins

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ovt obtained while a name has a hyphen can not really be reliable. Take for instance, one day I bought a hyphenated name w/out ext ovt 3094 but actually it only receives 10 uniques and one or two clicks a day which is quite insignificant compared to the mislead ovt at the beginning. just be careful with such names

Ubiquitous

Since 1997
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Abraham said:
ovt obtained while a name has a hyphen can not really be reliable. Take for instance, one day I bought a hyphenated name w/out ext ovt 3094 but actually it only receives 10 uniques and one or two clicks a day which is quite insignificant compared to the mislead ovt at the beginning. just be careful with such names

Good point. :mod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom