Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Hyphen or Net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clevercast

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

If you had a choice of a name with "VERY HIGH OVT" either the hyphen .com or no-hyphen .net, which would you choose?

Of course 'high ovt' is no guarantee of traffic, but the odds are better. And I know, that .net gets a bad rap.

Thoughts?

Peace,
Lee

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hyphens give a false reading in the overture tool, go for the .net

clevercast

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
croupier said:
Hyphens give a false reading in the overture tool, go for the .net

False reading?

I've not noticed any difference in the engines preference to .com over .net. I don't know why .net gets such a bad rap?!

Thoughts?

Peace,
Lee

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It doesnt get a bad rap, Overture just isnt set up to handle hyphened domains, because people are meant to use it to search for phrases/words, not domain names.

clevercast said:
False reading?

I've not noticed any difference in the engines preference to .com over .net. I don't know why .net gets such a bad rap?!

Thoughts?

Peace,
Lee

clevercast

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BLazeD said:
It doesnt get a bad rap, Overture just isnt set up to handle hyphened domains, because people are meant to use it to search for phrases/words, not domain names.

Yeah, I meant .net getting a bad rap. The ovt for this domain is minus the hyphen :D Hopefully it will translate to traffic.

Peace,
Lee

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to have AD-Block.com and it got nice traffic...in that case I would much rather have the "-" than the .net but I guess if the dash works then why not get them both and kill two birds with one stone? At godaddy you can add the traffic facts item to make your purchase just $1.99+$3.99 for the domain works out to like $6.19 a domain..then use the code usa6 or candy and it takes off another $1 on each individual name purchase...you get the domain for $5.19 each....helps when you need to reg several...just a little hint :)

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mocus: I totally agree with you, the best solution is to get both variations.

clevercast

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a plan. I'll get both. $3.99 for a name? Where? I'm getting hammered at GD reseller plan :(

I wish GD wouldn't compete with their resellers, it's double dipping.

Peace,
Lee

guile

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the .net is has better potential for type-ins, but hypenated is probably better for search engines. Sometimes I wonder if hypenated keyword phrases are better for search engines than a phrase without spaces.

One advantage to having a hypenated keyword phrase is that you will already have keywords seperated when you work on building links to your site. Some search engines pay attention to what keywords are in the anchor tags on other sites that link to you. If you have a hypenated name, such as keyword-keyword.com, I'm pretty sure the search engine will see the hypen as a space. If you have no hypen, then the search engine will see "Keywordkeyword" and may not know how to break it up.

While you can always add different keywords to anchor tags when building link populairity, a hypenated name is like having the keyword phrase already broken up the way it should be. Each time your link is added to a directory, search engines will see that keyword phrase and boost your rankings for it. Atleast that is my understanding, I may be wrong.

clevercast

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the imput :D I think I will get both.

Peace,
Lee

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hi mocus, what's 'traffic facts item' in godaddy? do you mean one can purchase it at $1.99 and register the name at $3.99?

Is it on a bulk discount basis or it applies also to just 1 domain? thanks for advice.

Mocus said:
I used to have AD-Block.com and it got nice traffic...in that case I would much rather have the "-" than the .net but I guess if the dash works then why not get them both and kill two birds with one stone? At godaddy you can add the traffic facts item to make your purchase just $1.99+$3.99 for the domain works out to like $6.19 a domain..then use the code usa6 or candy and it takes off another $1 on each individual name purchase...you get the domain for $5.19 each....helps when you need to reg several...just a little hint :)

Pleski

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MissDomain,

Godaddy has a special, where when you buy a non-domain item you can get a domain for $3.99. You purchase traffic facts during check out for $1.99, which allows you to buy one domain for $3.99. Next, use the promo code "david" to take another dollar off the total. It is not a bulk order, and you will have to order the domains seperate because the promo code only applies to the total purchase cost, and not all the domains.

Pleski

clevercast

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

Is the 'promo code' part of an affiliate thing?

Peace,
Lee

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You put the promo code in at the page towards the end of the checkout that asks for a coupon code.

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That 'Traffic Facts' opportunity (and thus very cheap regs there at GoDaddy) ended about a week ago. But at check-out, you can still get $1 off there by using a coupon code such as david

Best,
Rob

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Prosperous said:
That 'Traffic Facts' opportunity (and thus very cheap regs there at GoDaddy) ended about a week ago. But at check-out, you can still get $1 off there by using a coupon code such as david

Best,
Rob

so what's the the lowest price to get for reg with godaddy $3.99 + ?? and what service/ products to subscribe?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i will get the hyphenated .com

unless the .net has ovt. w/tld included

i've regged a few hyphens this year,that have already paid the roi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom