Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Hyphenated Common 2 word Phrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

azanmi

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a gauge for how common 2 word phrases would compare Hyphenated vs. Standard? In other words, what percentage of the original value would you estimate them hold?

Ex: twowords.com vs two-words.com
And .net
Thanks!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
depends on the domain

when a domain that is hyphenated regularly in print publications and other media forms or is popular term, then it could be equal to or worth more than the non-hyphen version.

ie: eco-friendly vs ecofriendly or bio-tech vs biotech or you-tube vs youtube

if someone owned the .com of each, they would most likely be getting type-in traffic from all

however, most times the hyphen version has no real percentage value unless it's gets traffic, or it is very generic like 'swim-suits', dental-supply, lcd-tv, leather-coats, etc.

imo... each domain has to be valued according to it's niche'.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with biggedon, if the hyphen doesn't get type-in traffic it has no value. However, still valuable for SEO and sometimes keywords are normally spelt with the hyphen, so it can make sense.

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a gauge for how common 2 word phrases would compare Hyphenated vs. Standard? In other words, what percentage of the original value would you estimate them hold?

Ex: twowords.com vs two-words.com
And .net
Thanks!

I estimate that about 9 to 12 percent of (somewhat common) two-word or short-phrase domains are registered with hyphens. Hyphens are often value killers and rarely sell for high prices. I'd prefer a quality .net over it's hyphenated .com version, but I don't have many of either. I'd only consider a hyphenated domain if it has traffic, if there is a benefit with search engines (as a SEO person), or if it is a great name, like new-york.com, used-cars.com.

sunroof

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have several two-word .info's and .net's, and they make a some money at Parked. Several times reg fee, so they are worth keeping.

azanmi

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I only have one and it is a .net to begin with, but its very generic so maybe it will get some traffic.

nnh

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting post, any general thoughts on anti-clockwise.com? Hyphenated when printed but never really gets much type-in traffic... Is anticlockwise.com better??

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To add to this thread...

It may seem very strange but hypens within a word drives great traffic.

eg

boi-se.com
ber-lin.com
christ-church.com
ire-land.com

who knew?????

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To add to this thread...

It may seem very strange but hypens within a word drives great traffic.

eg

boi-se.com
ber-lin.com
christ-church.com
ire-land.com

who knew?????

Me. I knew!
I had a couple and sold them. One got great traffic which completely surprised me. In fact I hand reg'd it and parked it months later and it began making $3-$7/day.

I have many hyphenated keyword(s) domains mainly for SEO. But some get some type ins however no where near the traffic the non hyphenated gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom