Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Hyphenated dotcom versus dotnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Suppose a two-word dotcom name XXXXXX is gone, but XXX-XXX.com and XXXXXX.net are still available. Is the hyphenated dotcom still a better reg than the dotnet?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dot com generally rules. The XXXXXX.com would benefit from typos wanting to go to the xxx-xxx.net.

Why not register both? It's a small price to pay (I'd 301 the XXXXXX.net to the XXX-XXX.com)

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Take both. Plus if you are serious about this business and development reg also .org .mobi and .biz. Good luck!

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
301 a.k.a. permanantly redirect (most registrars it is easy to do). When people type in the XXXXXX.net it redirects them to the XXX-XXX.com.

GoDaddy it is easy (I think it is destination?) others you might have to "forward the domain" to the xxx-xxx.com

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ah, now I see. That's great, draggar - very useful to know. Most of mine are with GoDaddy. Presumably you can use it with any combination of names and have them all aimed at the one website?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Suppose a two-word dotcom name XXXXXX is gone, but XXX-XXX.com and XXXXXX.net are still available. Is the hyphenated dotcom still a better reg than the dotnet?

it all depends on if the .com that is already registered is worth anything to begin with!

just because a .com is regged, doesn't mean it's worth the fee

look around!

:rolleyes:

don't you think that if the owner of the .com that is registered had a valuable name, that he/she would have thought to reg the hyphen, and maybe the net or not the net and reg the .org.....again depending on the name?

these kind of questions have too many variables for just one true answer.

imo...

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ah, now I see. That's great, draggar - very useful to know. Most of mine are with GoDaddy. Presumably you can use it with any combination of names and have them all aimed at the one website?

Yes you can, don't set them up in the same directory, forward / 301 them to the site you want to promote.

I have a niche that I've been trying to keep the domains out of unethical people so I've been buying up many domains. I must have at least two dozen domains (mostly .com) pointed to one domain as an informational source on the niche. No limit but remember that each domain = 1 renewal fee (and they can add up quickly!)

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't you think that if the owner of the .com that is registered had a valuable name, that he/she would have thought to reg the hyphen, and maybe the net or not the net and reg the .org.....again depending on the name?

What you seem to be saying, biggedon, is that the dotnet plus dotothers are almost never worth registering, because if they were the owner of the dotcom would have done so at the start. So why does anyone bother with anything other than a dotcom, in that case? There may as well be just the one extension and have done with it.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What you seem to be saying, biggedon, is that the dotnet plus dotothers are almost never worth registering, because if they were the owner of the dotcom would have done so at the start. So why does anyone bother with anything other than a dotcom, in that case? There may as well be just the one extension and have done with it.[/quote]

While .net etc.. are worth less in the eyes of domainers, with proper development and SEO a .net can be extremely valuable. For example, I have the .org (and.net / .info / .us etc..) of someone's name (I have their permission and run their site) and the .org beats out the .com (illegal site) in Google searches for this person's name.

But, there is nothing I can do about the people who think to type in RealName.com

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While .net etc.. are worth less in the eyes of domainers, with proper development and SEO a .net can be extremely valuable. For example, I have the .org (and.net / .info / .us etc..) of someone's name (I have their permission and run their site) and the .org beats out the .com (illegal site) in Google searches for this person's name.

But, there is nothing I can do about the people who think to type in RealName.com

So you would seem to be agreeing with biggedon, draggar: the only reason you haven't got the dotcom of that name is that someone had taken it and is holding it illegally. So when, for example, we see big names for sale (i.e., business.com), it's really everything that is being sold - all the extensions - only they don't bother to mention it? I hadn't realised. :(

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So when, for example, we see big names for sale (i.e., business.com), it's really everything that is being sold - all the extensions - only they don't bother to mention it? I hadn't realised. :(

I'm not sure if I get the question. (When business.com is for sale, only business.com is being sold, not the others unless it is a package deal). The value of business.net is, at best, only a fraction based on the value of business.com but don't always think the best domains are .com - perfect example are hacks such as del.icio.us - I don't think anyone thinks to type in del.icio.com?

While the domain may have value, what's going to really push it up is traffic and, in the end, revenue. Domains with natural type-in traffic will have a higher value (generally .coms but some other TLDs will get type-ins) but what will get those visitors (and revenue) for long term is traffic and with good writing, SEO, and design *any* TLD has the potential to beat out a .com (again, I go back to del.icio.us).

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

What you seem to be saying, biggedon, is that the dotnet plus dotothers are almost never worth registering, because if they were the owner of the dotcom would have done so at the start. So why does anyone bother with anything other than a dotcom, in that case? There may as well be just the one extension and have done with it.

you left this part from the beginning ....

it all depends on if the .com that is already registered is worth anything to begin with!

just because a .com is regged, doesn't mean it's worth the fee

look around!

there are many domainers who do, ONLY register .com names!

but what i am saying is, unless i or anyone else commenting here knows the domain and has done the research, then it really can't be said definetly what route to go.

sure you can look at it as only a few bucks to regg them and maybe get the .net and .org and .mobi and info and .asia too

and then the next time you get a hunch and do the same thing...next thing you know, you have regged a bunch of crapola.

again...look around!

every single question relating to a domain, almost always, depends on what the name is.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
most good or better two word terms are already taken in .com

about half of domainers seem to hate the hyphen, so just because a two word .com is taken, doesn't mean they took the hyphen version too.

makes sense to get the hyphen .com and non-hyphen .net if you really want it for a project.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, thanks again, biggedon. I hear what you're saying. Or see it, lol. If it's a good name, it's worth registering as many extensions as possible. The problem for a newbie, of course, is how to know if a name is good. The generics, obviously, but they will almost always be gone.

But how do you know you have a half-good name and that it's worth registering everything? You're supposed to learn by reading appraisals, such as on here, but how do you know the quality of the comments? And I've almost never got a response to a request for an appraisal of one of my own names.

And you can't ask for appraisal of a name you don't own, anyway, so presumably you register the dotcom and, if the name gets the thumbs up, go and get the rest of the extensions. But if you've been told the dotcom is good, maybe someone else reading the appraisal will have grabbed the other extensions.

It's a tougher world than it looks, the domaining one. I'm exhausted now with all this brainstrain, so I'm off to bed (it's 1:20 over here). Thanks again to everyone for those comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom