Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Hyphenated or non-hyphenated domain when you own both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When it comes development, is using a hyphenated domain advisable when the first word ends with the same letter as the second one begins with?

If you own both domains, which one is better to use the primary domain, with the other redirecting:

Great-Treats.com or GreatTreats.com

Basically, what I am asking is if anyone knows of any clear advantages of using one over the other. The only thing I can think of is from usability perspective, the hyphenated name is easier to read.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Visit Great DASH Treats.com!"

Sounds like shit if spoken.

"Visit Great Treats.com"

Sounds good when spoken.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know. But what if you own both names and redirect. Would a dash make sense then, if you type in greattreats.com you get redirected to great-treats.com? It's not what you say but what you see in the address bar.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes but I've typed that name into the address bar.. I know what it says.

If I stumbled across either domain on a Google search.. it wouldn't matter to me. I'd go non-hyphenated.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When it comes development, is using a hyphenated domain advisable when the first word ends with the same letter as the second one begins with?

If you own both domains, which one is better to use the primary domain, with the other redirecting:

Great-Treats.com or GreatTreats.com

Basically, what I am asking is if anyone knows of any clear advantages of using one over the other. The only thing I can think of is from usability perspective, the hyphenated name is easier to read.

the basic issue with an "ending letter" being the same as "beginning letter" in a multiword domain, is that one of those letters may not always get typed in the address bar.

whether it's hyphenated or all words together, as a link on a webpage makes no difference.

when reciting the domain, then you have to make note of the hyphen

but as the primary, i'd pass on the dash

imo...

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd actually drop the domains and go with TastyTreats.com. It's brand-able and it's an alliteration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd actually drop the domains and go with TastyTreats.com. It's brand-able and it's an alliteration.

Only an example. I don't own those domains. Thanks for the input, interesting points. My question was if you own both versions, which one looks better from the perspective of mainly brandability (i.e. memorability of the brand name as opposed the domain name) and secondly, usability (i.e. when you look at permalinks they are all hyphenated to distinguish each word). Whether someone would remember to include the dash when typing the address would be irrelevant since you own the non-dash version and in saying the address out loud or reciting it you obviously would not say the word "dash" or "hyphen", just one word followed by the second and 'dot com'. Should the hyphenated redirect to the non-hyphen or vice versa or doesn't matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom