Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

I get a call from

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanBulldog

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get a call from the "chief information officer" of the xxxxbank today.

They want to register a domain I own, which hanppens to be xxxxbank.com, their page is xxbank.com and this was a dropped name I picked up. I don't know if it was their drop or not as there is nothing in archive.org for the domain.

I asked them to send me something on letterhead so I know I'm dealing with someone legitimate as they want me to transfer the domain to them.

The questions I have, is it best to just hand it over? Is there something I should get in writing when it's handed to cover my ass? Should I say I would rather keep the domain, and see what their next move is?

My decision at this time is to just hand it over, the domain gets a little traffic, but has not made a penny, in the little under a month I have owned it, and I can't see the point getting into a pissing match over a domain which is the banks name.

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
See if they can give you the money for the domain. See if they can pay the dropping fees. They are a bank and banks have money. Don't get greedy just take what they offer you. Good luck. '' Skys The limit$''

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ask for a convenience fee of $1000, and say these are the costs I have incurred to acquire this domain in a drop auction..its far less than they would have to spend to take it from you and he might just counter with like $750 or $500, etc..or just say ok..if he called you then he wants it bad.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It will cost them at least $1200-$2500 at LEAST to pry the domain from you. I wouldn't be shy about asking for a nominal sum. Of course this has risks. Also do you feel you have any right or claim to the name? Or are you obviously infringing?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nothing in life is free...call him back be nice..say $1000, it's your's no hassle...everyone's happy...it's not like it comes out of his pocket!

or do like I did one time with a shady marketing director, (on the phone of course! never by email) I convinced him to pay me ALOT on a domain that the company wanted to buy from me and promised I would kick him back 25%, nothing illegal or questionable, just a broker fee out of the goodness of my heart, hehehe....ohh those were fun days when they were throwing around money like water.

dog

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm going through the same scenario with a domain. The domain is a trademarked acroynm with the word 'jobs' at the end. I have been nothing but cordial and forthcoming with a very reasonable fee but they have preferred to sick their corporate lawyers on me.

Any good advice to offer?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have problems recovering your out of pocket cost. But to ask for a few hundreds more and risk being sued? Hmm ...

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't hand it over. You got the name at a drop. There were a bunch of names last week that dropped...names like MidtownBanking.com, MidtownBanker, and others. These names would be safe even if there is a Midtown Bank. Use your head and be professional. You were a good-faith buyer, so continue to use good-faith and extract maximum value. You can sell it to me and I'll deal with it if you want to.

I picked up a name that was dropped by Trim Spa about four months ago. Their Tech Guy (who was the administrative contact) called and emailed. He mentioned that the name was Trademarked and that he could win the name in a dispute. I mentioned that he let the name expire and that I picked it up at a drop. He mentioned $500, I mentioned $15,000, then he mentioned $1,500 as his final offer (after consulting with an attorney with the company).

$3,300 wasn't a bad deal for me considering I paid $60 for it.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If the name of the game is to make money (and be creative and have fun), then there aren't too many names worth handing over immediately.....as long as you bought the name in good-faith, then you have a right to proceed with caution and demand market value for your name. There aren't too many good-faith buyers of names who have ever had their lives ruined from buying names. Controlling the name gives you all of the leverage. Just let them know that if their offer is exciting enough that you will make the transaction/transfer lighting quick and everyone will win. Stick up for yourself......don't respond to their emails within 5 minutes....try to wait a day or two. When I got the email from Trim Spa I waited over a day before I replied (and did as much research on the name as I possibly could).

Domain_Taster

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kinda wierd...

xxbank.com -- Sedo parking page
xxxbank.com -- Domain not active
xxxxbank.com -- Domain not active

what gives?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
He used "xx" as an example, not as the actual missing letters.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight, asking for money from an owner of a TM for a domain with thier trademark is and always will be an indication of bad faith. Please do not mislead people thinking this is a good practice. It is not!

If convicted as a cybersquatter, the maximum penalty is $100,000 per offense....

Now, with that out of the way.. The "tactics" will sometimes work, sometimes not. Some companies will take a hardline stance, some will not. Don;t get cocky like some people here suggest, that will only seal your fate. Yes, you can get moeny form a TM holder, but that is only because, they are not knowledgable enough to know better or jsut want you out of the way. The companies who wat to make an example out of you... watch out...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes if it is an "Internet" related company surely do not offer it for sale, but you may phrase it as a proposed settlement amount or "convenience fee"

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, it doesn't matter if it is an internet site or a brick and mortor site... And it also does not matter what you call your offer, if a knowledgable lawyer is on the case, see will only see you trying to profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom